The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By coug
  • 4 Post By mcnerney
  • 5 Post By lthrnk03
  • 3 Post By dhaynes
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default "Best" Book/DVD on fly casting mechanics?

I am a self-taught fly caster but have been having a lot of fun for over 20y. I have had friends and now a spouse that ask me to help them out with casting, but I know I have bad habits and do not want to pass those on. What are some good books or DVD's that explain the mechanics of casting and talk about different casts? This has probably been addressed before, so just posting a link would also help.

Dave
double d likes this.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Best" Book/DVD on fly casting mechanics?

Dave

Before you go out and buy a book/DVD, check out YouTube and see if you can find what your looking for there. I really like the three part fly casting series that Tim Landwehr from Tight Lines Fly Shop has done, check it out, here is part I.

Larry

Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Fly Casting for your iphone or ipad.

Fly Casting? Hey, I got an App for that! Following are available from Itunes App Store. Each works on Iphone or Ipad.

Icast Virtual Fly Casting: Based on Carl McNeils popular DVD “Casts that catch fish”… Bill Gammel’s Five Principle of fly Casting Illustrated. Five videos illustrate each principle.. Free.. also available on Youtube... search for "Bumcast"

Fly Fishing with Left Kreh: Special Casts… videos of Lefty’s talking about a variety of presentation casts… free

Fly Fishing with Lefty Kreh: Four Principles of Fly Casting. – free

Fly Fishing with Lefty Kreh: Fly Casting Lessons: 23 short videos illustrating Lefty’s Approach to Casting (4.99)

Fly Fishing Trainer: Free intro package but anything but the simplest applications require additional in-line purchases.

Fly Fisherman: Streamside Guide. Lot of videos covering casting, fishing, flies, travel and so forth.. River Reports, Guide lists and not, as yet, well developed… Shows promise.. Free

Orvis Fly Fishing. Includes video on basic casting, animated knots, field guide to trout flies searchable by name or characteristics, access to download Tom Rosenbauer’s weekly podcast, stream reports by local guides and more. Stream reports cover Gunpowder, Lower and Upper Savage, North Branch of Potomac and Potomac from Chain Bridge to Point of Rock. Links to Orvis store of course. 14.99 but get a $10 Orvis Gift card with registration. This was recently on sale for 4.99... Many, many more streams are represented; put this together originally for local Maryland TU chapter.

Fly Fishing 3D HD.... a fly fishing game that claims to offer a realistic casting experience! Cast your line; catch a fish. Works with IPAD but not clear about Iphone. Requires IPADs tilt capabilities for casting...Intro version is free; upgrades are paid.

If I missed anything, post it up as a reply...
mcnerney, shotgunfly and coug like this.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

Wow! Thanks for the advice here, as I've bought two of Lefty's DVD's and I"m just beginning to review them. But, Tim Landwehk has some great YouTube videos (as mentioned above). Very cool, as a newbie, this is very helpful.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You Tube is by far the best resource I can think of there is. The second best video is that which you shoot of your casting. It will help get rid of the bad habits you mentioned.

The best website other than here, has some very advanced stuff but also a lot of basic instructional stuff. It's called Sexyloops.

Best part, all free. All with far more information than you can get in a book or video.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Joan Wulff's DVD on casting has helped me more than other resource I've used. Seeing it is worth ten times more than reading about it. Youtube is a great resource, but her approach and consistency is worth it. Also, I highly recommend spending the 39.95 on the Echo MPR, practice rod. it is a great help in solidifying your own casting as well as helping others. I sit in my living room watching TV and flip my MPR for about 30 minutes almost every night during the winter. It has made a big difference in my casting.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

I find the book by Jason Borger, "Mechanics of Fly Casting" very helpful. It is rather technical and time consuming to read, but I find that the knowledge from the book enable me to analyze my error better and correct them accordingly.