The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Why does my line fall all squiggly? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/304845-why-does-my-line-fall-all-squiggly.html)

busbus 12-10-2012 05:58 PM

Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Can't make it any more descriptive than that...I have to admit, I am a newbie and am probably doing a lot of things wrong. The only thing I have really been doing is the basic roll cast. Sometimes it works like a charm; other times, it don't go nowhere; but, most of the time, it falls like a snake in the water.

Here are a couple things I know that I do:

1. I muscle it too much. Must be carryover from spin casting.
2. I "think" I am bringing my forward cast down too far because it seems like the rod is at the 9:00 or even 8:00 spot but I can't figure out if I am coming to a stop prior to that or not...probably makes no difference.
3. It seems to me that I may be straightening my arm out as I cast. Sort of like I am trying to put English on a cue ball after I shoot the shot.

I swear I cast TWICE almost all the time. The first cast usually stinks because I don't even lift the fly out of the water. Other times, it squiggles much more than usual and I hastily pull it back in and try again.

I know I need to relax because I have proven that to myself but it seems like I tense up all the time trying to get that fly to go further.

By the way, you guys have created a monster. I just HAD to go out again today even though it was raining pretty darn hard. Went to a smallish, way overfished creek by my house and none of the rocks I am used to seeing were less than six-inches below water. Did manage to catch a nice small mouth but lost four flies in a little over an hour's worth of fishing. But had a really good time, except for the horrific casts.

silver creek 12-10-2012 08:39 PM

Re: Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Video a cast and post it.

gatortransplant 12-10-2012 08:44 PM

Silver is right on about this, but your number 2 reason there may be the reason your cast is going all squiggly. If you don't have a good stop in your forward cast, energy may not be fully transferred into your line, thus not carrying it all the way out (and making it all squiggly). Not very well described by me there, but that sounds like a possible cause.

Keep at it! And remember to keep having fun :D

imxer 12-10-2012 09:47 PM

BUS

Agree with AJ, if your rod tip is "getting down" ahead of your line I think the line will
land, as you put it, "squiggly".

Paul

williamhj 12-10-2012 10:08 PM

If you post a video I'm sure one of the folks on here can give some insights (I'm not good enough to offer such advice).

Moving beyond your original question, I'd encourage you to get with a casting instructor of some sort, it doesn't cost much. I think the LL Bean in Pittsburgh offers courses and I'm sure local fly shops have something as well. My first Spring fly fishing I went to one of the free Orvis fly fishing 101 classes. The time with the instructor wasn't long. He tweaked a few things rather quickly and I saw dramatic improvement. If you head out with a guide you can say you want to learn: help with casting, reading the water, fly selection, etc. I've found guides seem to enjoy sharing knowledge rather than just getting people to catch a bunch of fish. I've learned a lot that way. My $.02

cb 12-11-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busbus (Post 505898)
. It seems to me that I may be straightening my arm out as I cast.

This sounds to me like you are 'pushing' the rod. Try this drill: {assuming you are right handed} make sure your elbow never leaves your side and your right hand is NEVER more than 12-15 inches away from your ear. This way you will get 'control' of your rod tip and your cast will more snappy and energetic and should turn over better.

Good luck!

fredaevans 12-11-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 505958)
Silver is right on about this, but your number 2 reason there may be the reason your cast is going all squiggly. If you don't have a good stop in your forward cast, energy may not be fully transferred into your line, thus not carrying it all the way out (and making it all squiggly). Not very well described by me there, but that sounds like a possible cause.

Keep at it! And remember to keep having fun :D

+1 here. Assuming the proper line on the rod this is a 90% probability, or to re-state that 'Gravity Works.' You see this all the time with New 2hander casters. What I tell the folks is a firm stop with your rod tip aimed OVER the tallest tree you can see (that will be at that 10' oclock thing

wt bash 12-11-2012 11:01 AM

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Alot of dry fly fishing requires you throw those squiggles in, like the "slack cast". Having a little extra line on the water to begin with will set you up for making your mends without impacting the fly's dead drift too much. As long as you are on target as to where the fly lands don't sweat it.

silver creek 12-11-2012 12:47 PM

The reason I asked for a video is that I can just about guarantee that there are several casting faults and not just one. And when there are several problems, there is a sequence in which they should be corrected. Or in some cases, a single change will correct several problems simultaneously.

It all comes back to seeing the fault before we can correct the fault. Otherwise it is guess work.

busbus 12-11-2012 01:04 PM

Okay. I will see what I can do. I am not that great with video junk. Eventhough I am an IT geek, I am total old school. Maybe when my son is home from college, he can video me.

I can say this for sure: I will be torallty embarrassed because I bet absolutely everything I do is wrong. But I do get the fly more or less in the spot I want it to go. The line is just not tight at all. And all I can really do is roll cast.