The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Can't make it any more descriptive than that...I have to admit, I am a newbie and am probably doing a lot of things wrong. The only thing I have really been doing is the basic roll cast. Sometimes it works like a charm; other times, it don't go nowhere; but, most of the time, it falls like a snake in the water.

Here are a couple things I know that I do:

1. I muscle it too much. Must be carryover from spin casting.
2. I "think" I am bringing my forward cast down too far because it seems like the rod is at the 9:00 or even 8:00 spot but I can't figure out if I am coming to a stop prior to that or not...probably makes no difference.
3. It seems to me that I may be straightening my arm out as I cast. Sort of like I am trying to put English on a cue ball after I shoot the shot.

I swear I cast TWICE almost all the time. The first cast usually stinks because I don't even lift the fly out of the water. Other times, it squiggles much more than usual and I hastily pull it back in and try again.

I know I need to relax because I have proven that to myself but it seems like I tense up all the time trying to get that fly to go further.

By the way, you guys have created a monster. I just HAD to go out again today even though it was raining pretty darn hard. Went to a smallish, way overfished creek by my house and none of the rocks I am used to seeing were less than six-inches below water. Did manage to catch a nice small mouth but lost four flies in a little over an hour's worth of fishing. But had a really good time, except for the horrific casts.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Video a cast and post it.
Guest1 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Silver is right on about this, but your number 2 reason there may be the reason your cast is going all squiggly. If you don't have a good stop in your forward cast, energy may not be fully transferred into your line, thus not carrying it all the way out (and making it all squiggly). Not very well described by me there, but that sounds like a possible cause.

Keep at it! And remember to keep having fun

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

BUS

Agree with AJ, if your rod tip is "getting down" ahead of your line I think the line will
land, as you put it, "squiggly".

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 12-10-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you post a video I'm sure one of the folks on here can give some insights (I'm not good enough to offer such advice).

Moving beyond your original question, I'd encourage you to get with a casting instructor of some sort, it doesn't cost much. I think the LL Bean in Pittsburgh offers courses and I'm sure local fly shops have something as well. My first Spring fly fishing I went to one of the free Orvis fly fishing 101 classes. The time with the instructor wasn't long. He tweaked a few things rather quickly and I saw dramatic improvement. If you head out with a guide you can say you want to learn: help with casting, reading the water, fly selection, etc. I've found guides seem to enjoy sharing knowledge rather than just getting people to catch a bunch of fish. I've learned a lot that way. My $.02
imxer and troutnut4 like this.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
. It seems to me that I may be straightening my arm out as I cast.
This sounds to me like you are 'pushing' the rod. Try this drill: {assuming you are right handed} make sure your elbow never leaves your side and your right hand is NEVER more than 12-15 inches away from your ear. This way you will get 'control' of your rod tip and your cast will more snappy and energetic and should turn over better.

Good luck!
busbus likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Silver is right on about this, but your number 2 reason there may be the reason your cast is going all squiggly. If you don't have a good stop in your forward cast, energy may not be fully transferred into your line, thus not carrying it all the way out (and making it all squiggly). Not very well described by me there, but that sounds like a possible cause.

Keep at it! And remember to keep having fun
+1 here. Assuming the proper line on the rod this is a 90% probability, or to re-state that 'Gravity Works.' You see this all the time with New 2hander casters. What I tell the folks is a firm stop with your rod tip aimed OVER the tallest tree you can see (that will be at that 10' oclock thing
Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Alot of dry fly fishing requires you throw those squiggles in, like the "slack cast". Having a little extra line on the water to begin with will set you up for making your mends without impacting the fly's dead drift too much. As long as you are on target as to where the fly lands don't sweat it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I asked for a video is that I can just about guarantee that there are several casting faults and not just one. And when there are several problems, there is a sequence in which they should be corrected. Or in some cases, a single change will correct several problems simultaneously.

It all comes back to seeing the fault before we can correct the fault. Otherwise it is guess work.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Okay. I will see what I can do. I am not that great with video junk. Eventhough I am an IT geek, I am total old school. Maybe when my son is home from college, he can video me.

I can say this for sure: I will be torallty embarrassed because I bet absolutely everything I do is wrong. But I do get the fly more or less in the spot I want it to go. The line is just not tight at all. And all I can really do is roll cast.