The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By turbineblade
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM

b4d93r is on a distinguished road
Default Practice casting without a hook - Advice?

Hi everyone,

Ok, I have a real noob question and I apologize in advance for this. I'm finally getting started in Fly Fishing and got to thinking about my casting, Once the sub-zero temps clear up and I can get out I'm going to start practicing my casts. I know with regular fishing they have these rubber plugs you can practice with, is there anything like that for fly fishing? I really don't want to use a live lure (by live I mean one with a hook) as I know I'll snag myself! I would like to try and be as accurate as possible weight wise so I'm not over or under compensating when I'm actually out fishing. I had thought about just clipping off the hook on an old lure but wasn't sure about that so if there's any advice you could share with a new person, I would appriciate it.

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practice casting without a hook - Advice?

Snapping off the the hook at the bend will work but there is still the possibility of slinging the fly back into your eye. You can also tie a small piece of yarn to the end of the tippet, that's what I do and it's easier to see.

Dave
mcnerney, shotgunfly and osok like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I usually tie a HUGE piece of yarn doubled-over several times because I often fish medium-large flies and a tiny piece of yarn is too easy to cast for practice purposes.

Always were eyewear when casting a fly rod. Always.

Sorry to show this because it has scarred me for life, but you need to know why and this way is the most effective to get the point across --

Why you should Always wear Glasses and Only use Barbless hooks. the limp cobra

I was always pretty good about wearing sunglasses while fishing -- but I will never, EVER fish again without them. Not even casting practice. If I'm holding a rod, I have glasses on.
rubberguy likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM

b4d93r is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. Not to long after I posted this I saw the thread about practicing which went into good detail about using yarn. I'll have to give that a try, but I didn't understand the benefit of using a shorter rod. I would think it would impact the cast action. In other words, you wouldn't get a true "feel" for the rod action or does that really matter?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello & Welcome to the forum,

I see from your last post that you're searching through forums and threads here. That's great, there are so many things tucked away here and you can find about anything you could dream up in the archived threads.

To simplify your experiences here use that search tab on the menu bar (I figure you already are) and fine tune your searches by using the advanced search feature. It's not as good as goggle but it will get you in the ballpark. I hope you'll become a regular poster and keep us updated as you progress from practicing casting to the pictures of your first fish caught.

Ard
Guest1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Never truer words spoken than what Ard said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
there are so many things tucked away here and you can find about anything you could dream up in the archived threads.

Ard
Good luck with your casting practice.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4d93r View Post
I didn't understand the benefit of using a shorter rod.
I don't either and I've been at this a while. Where was using shorter rods suggested?
Unless they mean the practice set-ups that can be used indoors in a pinch. Those systems are really getting tweaked these days so you can actually get a feeling for what rod loading feels like.
In every other case I like to practice with the rods I'm going to use. Lines are a different story. I save the good lines for fishing and when they get tired or damaged they get used for practice.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4d93r View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Not to long after I posted this I saw the thread about practicing which went into good detail about using yarn. I'll have to give that a try, but I didn't understand the benefit of using a shorter rod. I would think it would impact the cast action. In other words, you wouldn't get a true "feel" for the rod action or does that really matter?
Two different animals
You can use a tuft of yard on the end of your leader as a hook-free practice fly.

or... you can use a length of yard on a stick or a rod tip section for indoor practice. The purpose of which is to help you to understand how to form good loops.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum steve
sooooo much great info here that any questions you may have will likely be met by a varied selection of good knowledgeable responses.
looking forward to hearing more from you....

casey

ARFE