The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default To sum this whole category up

I think this whole category can be summed up and answered in one word: YouTube.

Chances are, if you can't look at some YouTube videos and tell what you're doing wrong, then typing the problem out won't help much.

Not saying this to be mean, but if you have an issue with your casting, you should first watch a bunch of casting training YouTube videos. There are plenty out there to choose from.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: To sum this whole category up

If you know what your problem is you should be able to find a solution on youtube, but diagnosing the problem is where many guys struggle. We're a community of fisherman here for camaraderie and to help out our fellow anglers. If you don't want to help guys who post questions about their cast, then don't respond. There are a number of guys here who love helping other anglers, and are happy to give advice. I encourage anyone who uses this forum to post their questions. That's a big part of the reason this community exists.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

All I have to say is that if watching a video was a substitute for personal instruction, there would be no need for instructors of any kind. Otherwise, we could learn how to drive a golf ball from watching Tiger Woods hit a few off of the tee in slow motion and explaining what he is doing. And I submit that driving a golf ball is a simpler motion than the back and forth motion of casting.

The problem is that a beginner does not know what they are doing right or wrong, even with a video. Videos are better than no video at all, but it is very difficult to learn what is going wrong with your own cast by looking at what is going right with the instructor's cast. I've yet to see a video take a beginners hand and change a grip, or cast holding the student's hand through the cast.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Ugh someone on a forum I am part of said the samething about racing motorcycles, just not true, so many people can watch a video and then think they are doing it right, but having someone tell you and be able to guide you is no replacement.

If you dont like the thread someone makes dont read it, same goes for just about everything in life, if you dont like it then dont look at it. Mind your own business type of deal. I personally love helping when I can especially in something like this. More threads asking about casting means more people getting into this sport.
mcnerney and chi flyfisher like this.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
If you know what your problem is you should be able to find a solution on youtube, but diagnosing the problem is where many guys struggle. We're a community of fisherman here for camaraderie and to help out our fellow anglers. If you don't want to help guys who post questions about their cast, then don't respond. There are a number of guys here who love helping other anglers, and are happy to give advice. I encourage anyone who uses this forum to post their questions. That's a big part of the reason this community exists.
Good call.

Thing about learning to cast via video is like trying to teach yourself how to swing a Golf club. On the face of it, pretty easy to do, but the reality is quite something different.

Real 'problem' as I see it is half of a one hander cast is 'behind you' where you really have to struggle to watch same. And its the back cast is where most of the problems occur.

Only type of fly casting that vid's can actually be quite helpful is with a 2hander rod. Reason for that is almost all of the cast is out over the water so you can actually 'watch' what's going on. Something goes wrong with the cast there's only one or two things that will 'cause' the flub.

Once you get that down, then its pretty easy to adjust.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Well I didnt mean to spark all this excitement. I understand that there is more to casting than you can see on a video, and I love the camaraderie and helpfulness of everyone on the forum.

My point is more that people should try YouTube first. Many of the posts here are either very basic questions that can be quickly answered by a casting instruction video (as well as the fact that these videos are very informative and provide a lot more info to beginners than just the area they seem to get stuck on) or are very specific to the point where you really need to be there in order to get a sense of what the person is doing wrong.

I apologize if anyone thought I was lashing out here. I just think a lot of people posting in this thread would benefit from visually seeing and hearing an instructor (via YouTube) before they try to explain it in text to a crowd who cant see them and put actions to their words.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

could never get into that "GOLF" thing myself, but motorcycle racing that was fun..........

"GOLF" is a 4 letter word around here !
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE golf !

It keeps the yahoos off the rivers
theboz and rubberguy like this.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

practice makes perfect....

so the old saying says!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

How about this scenario which happens at times, someone asks a basic question in their own words and in the responses they get they learn a bit of nomenclature to help define their YouTube search better.
For example; someone doesn't know what a tailing loop is and how it is defined but knows that their leader ends up with little knots all over it and asks why. They will probably see the words tailing loop in a response and so go to YouTube with that in mind.
Personally, I wouldn't look down on any means to learn except maybe from a well intentioned friend who can't cast or teach himself. That could actually set you back quite a bit, especially if you spend a lot of time practicing the poor principals you learned. Get good, hands-on instruction from the start then you'll hopefully know good from bad and will spend time on productive practice.