The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I find it interesting that he seems to begin the snake roll by moving the rod in the direction he is going to cast.

Randy
I though that too at first, I didn't even think it was a true snake right off the bat but half the time I don't know the names of these casts. I just do what works for the situation.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

He's correct.

The SR begins with your rod tip going into the bank and then rotated out. Think of a squished backward lower case letter 'e.' SR is a 'touch and go' anchor using just the leader for 'stick.'

fae
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Ok Fred so for spey or single hand, I'm river left and at the dangle now do I make my lift and then a counter clockwise motion with the rod tip towards the bank, the line touches down and then make my forward cast?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Ok Fred so for spey or single hand, I'm river left and at the dangle now do I make my lift and then a counter clockwise motion with the rod tip towards the bank, the line touches down and then make my forward cast?
River left (facing the river, waters flowing from your right to your left) the entire cast would be 'clock wise.' River right the cast is counter clock wise.

Only problem for most right handed casters/river left is the SR is (physically) very awkward to pull off. Takes a hell of a lot of practice to get comfortable doing same UNLESS you have your left hand on the top cork. What's going on is your upper body is getting in the way.

'Cack-handed' casting is a non-starter with the Snake Roll. Better to do a Snap T or Circle Cast (which is almost the same thing).

Fred

Edit to add a thought about 1hander rods and the SR. The cast is physically taxing with your non-dominate (rightie or leftie) arm. Skip the rod, just stand up and make the casting motion with both arms ... you'll see what I mean.
fae
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM

So basically the snake roll is just a bit tighter and faster than a C or Snap-T? Sometimes I hate that all these casts have a name all I know is single hand spey rocks! And contrary to what alot of people say in regards to length the right action rod even at 7' can be made into a rocket launcher.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
So basically the snake roll is just a bit tighter and faster than a C or Snap-T? Sometimes I hate that all these casts have a name all I know is single hand spey rocks! And contrary to what alot of people say in regards to length the right action rod even at 7' can be made into a rocket launcher.
Rod don't know and don't care

Shxt, going to a different laptop/smaller key board is a total PAIN WHERE ONE SITS. Mutie corrce a shxt. forget it.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's chopping half the circle off of what I do. I go high and over toward the water, coming under and up into the start position, make my anchor and cast. Winter has made me a tad dusty and I needed to think about this one. I think he's eliminating my first half of prior to anchor move.

You know, thinking about it, you don't really need the first half with a shorter head I guess. The idea is just lift the line and establish your anchor properly and he's doing that.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-26-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM

I agree Dan, the snake roll thing throws me off cause what I've seen and tried to replicate as a snake was completely different. Perry P, Circle Speys, Singles and Doubles are all self explanatory to me but this video as I think was mentioned before look way different than what I had thought a snake was. In retrospect it doesn't matter cause I get the line out, it looks pretty, and hell I can even throw quite a bit of running line with a spey rod and hit my target with ease single handed. Plus the fish don't care if I do't know what the proper nomenclature is! Lift it, set it, cast it, case closed.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

You guys are making my head spin. He sure looked calm as a cucumber and had some nice finesse.
How long would you say his rod is? Does a longer rod make this snake roll easier?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 AM

I don't think so, I was out the other day with my 7'4" and was bombing casts like that all day. I'm of the train of thought that its all rod action and proper timing.
noreaster likes this.