The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM

AndrÚBrun is on a distinguished road
Default Snake rolls, with no space behind you

Hi. I really love the snake roll for those tight spots
Here I am just pointing out that you really don't need any space behind you, if you set the line a bit in front of you in the water.

Guest1, kayo, coldwater55 and 4 others like this.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

I have no idea what that guy is saying, no real need to, just watching him cast was a learning experience. He made it look so effortless. Thanks for sharing that
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Would be curious to know if this requires overlining the fly rod. Any thoughts?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was certainly interesting, gonna have to practice that one here in the hotel parking lot.

Dave
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

He makes it look so easy. Even whole holding onto a pine tree and casting!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post

Nope just a proper line for the rod and the surface tension helps load the rod. It does look like he's using a shooting head in the video though but I use casts like these all the time with a properly matched line.
Guest1 and woodrivertroutbum like this.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope, but hard to properly 'pull off' with a short headed spey line. With a 1hander a long forward tapered line (like the 'Triangle Taper') makes this cast a 'piece of cake' with a touch of practice.

You need a touch over half your rod length (clear air) to execute same.
Guest1 and oarfish like this.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, despite the common misconception you do. In fact it burns my biscuits when people insist you do. So much so that I made a video doing it where I was underlined. So no, not only no, but H E double hockey stick no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Well that was certainly interesting, gonna have to practice that one here in the hotel parking lot.

Dave
You need to anchor the line in water, and the parking lot will be seriously hard on your line. I'd wait for water.
oarfish likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

An arrow flip might work a little better.

Rick

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Only if you felt you needed to, it depends on your cast, rod. I'm thinking of using a light sprey line on a single hander 10 wt in the surf when it gets a little warmer.

Rick

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Nope, but hard to properly 'pull off' with a short headed spey line. With a 1hander a long forward tapered line (like the 'Triangle Taper') makes this cast a 'piece of cake' with a touch of practice.

You need a touch over half your rod length (clear air) to execute same.
Fred you've still got it.

Rick
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I find it interesting that he seems to begin the snake roll by moving the rod in the direction he is going to cast. In Rio's Modern Spey Casting, Simon says to begin the cast by moving the rod in the opposite direction you are going to cast.

Randy