The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How far could you cast with these set ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by river19 View Post
Here's my question......when you guys practice casting.....are you just throwing your normal rig with a common fly? No fly? Leader and all?
Good to meet another new caster! I have been doing a lot of experimenting with flies of all weights. When I cast in the grass I throw a bait hook with the hook cut off and a piece of yarn. Its like a lightly weighted fly. The biggest thing that I have played around with is leaders. I have tied like 100 and am just now getting some formulas that I like. I have found that the final tippet and weight of the fly is a very important thing to get right.
Good luck.!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by river19 View Post
Here's my question......when you guys practice casting.....are you just throwing your normal rig with a common fly? No fly? Leader and all?.....
As WJC and I were talking, we practice hitting spots even when we are fishing. When casting in the grass replace the fly with an inch and a half or two inches of yarn tied in the middle. I fray the yarn out and brush it back into a single hookless yarn 'fly'.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

river19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
As WJC and I were talking, we practice hitting spots even when we are fishing. When casting in the grass replace the fly with an inch and a half or two inches of yarn tied in the middle. I fray the yarn out and brush it back into a single hookless yarn 'fly'.
Great thanks.

When I was out Sunday I made a point of practicing casting more than really "fishing". Nothing was rising at the time so I took the opportunity to work on casting and controling my drift and presentation.

Seeing as how I made a lazy mistake and had too short a leader/tippet for part of the day. Once I tied on a new leader life was better.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

If you can, get someone to take some video of your casting. Watch the video. Compare to what you see on youtube. Find the flaw. Find the correction. Practice and repeat.

While practicing, be sure to turn around and watch you back cast

Distance is a good tool to have in the box, but for me accuracy and delicacy are far more important. Then again I fish a lot of smaller rivers and streams. On my favorite pieces of water, a 60' cast would put me 30'-40' up the opposite bank.

When I can, I use a roll cast pick-up and then am kind of, almost violent on the back cast. Haul and roll cast. Fly pops up. Line running over index finger and a sharp 12' -16" haul. pin the line against the grip. Slide hand up the line and grab. Just before the fore cast, rip another 12" - 16" of line back in. Then a sharp motion to get the rod tip to 10 o-clock. Drop the line of the rod hand index finger and control how much line shoots out with your line hand.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I have caught more fish with a shorter, more precise cast and a little stealth than I have trying to reach out too far to present a fly to them.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

You are in a good place for fly fishing in St. Pete. I'd check out Sun Coast Fly Fisher's club. Many of the members there are with the FFF. Capt. Pete Greenan is a member, a Master Certified FFF Instructor and on the FFF Casting Board of Governors. He's also a good guy.

There is a lot of talent and experience in that club. I don't know if Dusty Sprague is there or at a club in Tampa , but he's also a great guy and Master Cast Inst. Many members are guides as well and spend a lot of time on the water.

Of the two 8 wt's, the BVK and the Lefty - which do you prefer with the WF8 line?

One thing I'd suggest is to work on the loop shape and loop diameter - on both back and forward casts, meaning you'll have to watch your back cast.

Change the loops from wide to narrow while false casting an easily controlable length of line. Try to cast with just enough energy to keep it aloft, yet straighten all the way out. Then add some more line.

A cheap click and pawl reel works well for this because it won't keep reeling in line with every forward stroke.

Get into the habit of shooting line through your line hand donut instead of letting go on the shoot. When sight fishing you will sometimes get tangles and can clamp off and shake them out with the line hand while making one additional casting cycle and not miss the shot at the fish.

Of course, before you get too tired, it's perfectably acceptable:no, it's absolutely impossible NOT TO just wind up and wing it as far as you possibly can, anyway you can, with every muscle you have in your body.

Just don't be surprised if it doesn't go very far.

Random,
Accuracy is important for sure, but he's in saltwater and wind, lots of wind. On the calm days, pressure waves caused by just rocking the boat will often prevent the bite, so the further from the boat the better in the calm. Also, some obnoxious fish will follow a fly literally tickling their nose for 40 feet while deciding if they want to eat it or not. If they get too close to the boat, "not" is their decision.

Windy days and cloudy water are different and they eat the fly better, but casting into a 20 mph wind 40' is like casting 90' on a calm day - assuming you can control the loop shape and even hit 40'. Distance takes on a whole new meaning in salt and wind. Like Lefty says, "There is no downside to being able to cast far".

Last edited by wjc; 04-13-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Of the two 8 wt's, the BVK and the Lefty - which do you prefer with the WF8 line?
The BVK is by far the better rod.

Ths Suncoast Fly Fishers Club has approached me a few times actually. To come and be part of the group, just haven't found the time.

I am usually the only guy walking around the neighborhood with his toddler in the stroller along with a fly rod sticking out of the back. I fish a few times a week at all the local salt access spots.

Thanks for the great info Jim.

PS. I can get out to about 85' as of now. And climbing.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

If the BVK in an 8 is anything like the 10 wt, then it will easily handle the entire head on an 8 wt integrated WF line plus half the head lenght in overhang. So if you like that rod, and are getting out to 85' with an 8wt line, then you are getting your backcast down pretty well. The 10wt BVK is as nice a casting rod for me as any for salt water use. I've not cast an 8wt in the BVK.