The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Fun with tailing loops!

Quote:
Tapered leaders also allow you to slow down when a more delicate presentation and accuracy is needed like when your sightfishing a flat.
I hesitate to agree with you on anything since you seem to be more inclined to hurl childish insults than to explain any point, but I can't argue with this. I hadn't considered flats, but I can see this with dry flies.

Quote:
I must admit I used level leaders when I was 10-11 years old. You can be as sarcastic as you want hiding behind a computer, not going to make you a good fisherman or respected.
Explain to me how one of two people posting on an online fly fishing forum is "hiding behind a computer"? What does that even mean?

Quote:
You might show a little respect to others who have obviously fished for decades more than you.
Respect is a two-way street and if you look at your posts they're mostly one-line insults. I couldn't care less how old you are or whether you've caught 1225 fish in one year -- you won't get respect until you give it.

Plus, having done something longer really means very little to me. I've seen guys who've said "oh yeah, I've been fly fishing for years" and then they can't cast a weighted #14 brassie 20 feet.

And again, tailing loops have nothing to do with the taper of a leader. This is what this thread was about. Thus, your years of experience may not have been so productive.
Guest1 and theboz like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

My years have served me very well, good luck with yours.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

1200 in 98? That's more than 3/day for the entire year, zero days off. Were you square hooking them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I hesitate to agree with you on anything since you seem to be more inclined to hurl childish insults

if you look at your posts they're mostly one-line insults.
Uh... hem. not sayin anything......
wt bash and theboz like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Not saying anything? Isn't that kind of unusual for you? When stripers run and are blitzing you can have some amazing days with very high numbers . I also was catching fish for a study being done. I know people that have caught far more. I only insult those who are snarky to me first. In both your case, Dan, and TB's that's what happened. I have zero investment in this forum or any of the people here, so I really don't care what you or TB think. Just be sure I won't back down if you insult me and will continue to give opinions on things I think your wrong on. You're free to do the same, needless to say. Both of you like to do things differently. That's commendable, just don't think you can shove it down people's throats.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more of you're a thin skinned whiney boy. Just looks that way. Thought you might wanna know, and uh still don't believe your numbers.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Yeah and I think your compensating for something with those long rods.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

In all fairness its not a great feat to catch numbers of bass like that over the course of a year provided you live in the right location and have the time.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
In all fairness its not a great feat to catch numbers of bass like that over the course of a year provided you live in the right location and have the time.
That's a tough call Bill, I have a retired friend who lives 15mins from the Troy Damn. Fishes 3-4X a week with spinning gear and slays them but 1200 is certainly an impressive feat.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

In hind sight 1200 is a high number but a boat combined with weekdays its not impossible. That said I've never kept score as to how many what day and when. I do remember '98 though and it was one of those epic cycle years. Plus it was 98' I turned 19 and was finally trusted to take out my uncle's boat solo.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
In hind sight 1200 is a high number but a boat combined with weekdays its not impossible. That said I've never kept score as to how many what day and when. I do remember '98 though and it was one of those epic cycle years. Plus it was 98' I turned 19 and was finally trusted to take out my uncle's boat solo.
Don't get me wrong, we've had 40-50 fish days up there but the weather will shut you down completely some days. You have to be a serious die hard to approach those number.
Guest1 likes this.