The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default Re: What is wrong with my roll cast?

Mastering the Roll Cast with Mel Krieger - YouTube

Who am I to criticise a master? - but the roll cast shown in the Mel Krieger video is ghastly! Far too much body effort going into the forward cast and dropping way too far forward. Actually I’m totally amazed he is doing this. I thought it must be a wind up at first!?

ANyway, things have moved on ..... I suggest more modern videos!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

My thought is that Mel is using a fiberglass rod. By necessity, the rod stroke with a more flexible rod has to be more convex with longer stroke path than a stiffer graphite fly rod. A caster has to accelerate more slowly with a more flexible fiberglass fly rod, so to achieve same line velocity, the stroke path must be longer.

Here are more modern videos.

The Roll Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb View Post
Mastering the Roll Cast with Mel Krieger - YouTube

Who am I to criticise a master? - but the roll cast shown in the Mel Krieger video is ghastly! Far too much body effort going into the forward cast and dropping way too far forward. Actually Iím totally amazed he is doing this. I thought it must be a wind up at first!?

ANyway, things have moved on ..... I suggest more modern videos!

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
My thought is that Mel is using a fiberglass rod.
I think you are just being kind!

:-)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I did some looking around last night and found this fella. He seems to show it the way I do it personally. Or his style seems to be parallel to my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1daKtnHPto