The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default What is wrong with my roll cast?

Hey all,
I got out on a pond with my new TFO Pro Special II yesterday. I was noticing that at short range, roll casting was fine, but at any distance more than 20 ft of line or so not so much. It seemed like no matter how hard I zinged, the loop just didn't have the power to pull the line off of the water, and the loop would collapse.
My normal casting was pretty rusty at first but got better as I went on (and as the wind died down), normal low back casting problems but adding some line speed with some double hauling does the trick. A lot of tailing loops but those are normal problems with plenty of info around here to look at.
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is wrong with my roll cast?

The bigger your D-Loop and the more bend you can force into your rod will allow for longer ranged roll casts... I say the more bend YOU can put into the rod because you have to load the rod... the line will not load the rod for you during a roll cast so you must put enough power into your forward stroke to make the rod bend yourself... another thing to take into account is how much line you have laying on the water when you perform your roll cast... the more line you can have lifted off the water while still having the tip of your line anchored to the water... the more efficient your roll cast will be... experiment with how high you lift your rod tip in the air during your forward stroke and timing and speed of your roll cast... it should start out slow with the lift and turn into almost a snap of the wrist as you cast forward... coming to a complete halt at the end of your casting stroke
kingofamberley likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Mel Krieger has a good Roll Cast you tube video. Watching a spey casting video would be helpful as well. Spey casts are essentially roll casting and can be done with a single hand rod. They can be very useful trout fishing, when an errant back cast may cost you your well tied fly...
Hardyreels and itchmesir like this.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Mel Krieger has a good Roll Cast you tube video. Watching a spey casting video would be helpful as well. Spey casts are essentially roll casting and can be done with a single hand rod. They can be very useful trout fishing, when an errant back cast may cost you your well tied fly...
itchmesir and kingofamberley like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I like the video, but I disagree with the meat cleaver analogy. One of the Rajeff brothers uses a wet paint brush to demonstrate. To throw water in a straight line you need to flick the brush forward. Use the same motion with your fly rod. If you bring the rod down hard at the water you will get the poor oval loop Mel talks about. Come down hard, but flick the rod forward. This advice has helped me with my roll cast.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

What really got my roll cast working,,was more of the paint brush tenique. I'd imagine,,,a bubble inside my rod,,(silly I know but it worked) and I not only had to bring the rod forward and move it thur the rod,,I had,,HAD to mentally put the power to be running very fast to the tip at the end,,a FLICK,,at the end,,to FLING that bubble out of my rod. This is hard to explain, but I think a level motion cast will have you coming up with less good effect than a forward FLICK at the termination of your roll.

That's just the image that helped me,,a bubble inside my rod. I don't imagine a bubble now,,,but after a good bit of practice it's become natural.

Michael
Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. It is helping but I am stuck on one point.
I think the confusing thing for me is the fact that I've always heard that its the tension of the water that loads the rod... however, it seems that there is no loading of the rod, not really. It seems more like you are just trying to do an un-loaded forward cast that is just barely powerful enough to free your anchored line from the water and lay it out. This takes a lot of energy and takes its toll on my shoulder haha. If your line was anchored on water behind you, that would load the rod, but that is not the same situation at all. Can someone set me straight on this?
Thanks again. You guys are truly a wealth of knowledge.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Here is a Simon Gawesworth Spey casting video trailer. There is a short piece on single hand casting. I hope it helps, Simon is amazing...RIOs Modern Speycasting - YouTube
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM

From watching videos, I think maybe I was applying too much force too early in the cast, rather than directing it more forwards. Do you guys ever haul while roll casting? Is that a thing?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I will occasionally throw in a haul to build line speed when roll casting.