The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Glen Wright
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 2 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Fly Casting Lessons

My cousin and I took fly casting lessons from Jeff Putnam. I did a casting tune up lesson and my cousin George Cast a fly rod for his first time. The truth is I'm not sure if I enjoyed more seeing my cousin do very well or myself becoming more efficient caster who finally learned out to get most out of my casting with minimal effort. I'd been aware for years that I my casting was not as efficient as possible, but Jeff was the first person to explain to me how to make the necessary change in a way I found easy to understand and apply.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Casting Lessons

Hi Tom,
When you get into the Spey and switch thing, Jeff is one of two local instructors who I would recommend. He'll get you proficient enough to get started correctly after one session of casting.

Dennis
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to have the option of having lessons. Up here There are only two people who fly fish, so I guess we could take turns giving each other lessons. I'll start, Bill needs to learn the two hander.
mcnerney and rubberguy like this.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
My cousin and I took fly casting lessons from Jeff Putnam. I did a casting tune up lesson and my cousin George Cast a fly rod for his first time. The truth is I'm not sure if I enjoyed more seeing my cousin do very well or myself becoming more efficient caster who finally learned out to get most out of my casting with minimal effort. I'd been aware for years that I my casting was not as efficient as possible, but Jeff was the first person to explain to me how to make the necessary change in a way I found easy to understand and apply.
I am interested in getting a lesson from him and I didn't know that he was in NorCal area.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff gets very high marks on the Internet. Appears (especially with a 2hander) he has a genuine ability to break down a cast and simply explain/demo 'why it works.' And if something doesn't/didn't work, 'here's what went wrong.'

I've taught a lot of folks how to cast a 2hander over the years and the hardest part is actually doing 'busted casts' to demo 'here's what I did wrong and how you can recover.' Love the Perry Poke for that last bit.