The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casting into the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
When faced with wind in the face I keep my rod on the back cast high... this allows the wind to add to the load of my rod... giving me an even more powerful forward cast which i point my rod tip low to the water on...
Really? I must be doing something seriously wrong because doing this is my normal mishap...and I still couldn't get it to work. I have no doubt this probably works but since I stop my forward cast too low on a regular basis, I think all I would do is make a bad habit worse.

There are a lot of good suggestions here and I bet Silver Creek's dissertation is accurate but once I got to the graph, my eyes started to glaze over! The one really good thing is that, in number 4, he proves (somehow) that wind blows faster the higher above the water you go. It always seemed that way to me but this proof proves it.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM

connahhh is on a distinguished road

If youre in a boat.... just cast downwind instead! No need for fancy casting strokes.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Heading out tonight to fight the wind. I'll be in the rivers chasing Striped Bass, I prefer a floating line in the rivers but with 14-18 wind in my face that won't work so time for backup plans.

Plan B
Rio T-14 30' shooting head with a Frog Hair running line
Click the image to open in full size.

Plan C
Click the image to open in full size.

Not every day is a fly day...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

I'm a beginner as well and was faced with a pretty strong headwind the other day. What I found to work the best was to lower my casting arm closer to the water and add a double haul. I also found that on making my presentation the wind would put a lot of slack into my line so what I started doing was striping some line in right before it hit the water. This would get most the slack out of the line and make a nice straight lay instead of one that looked like a snake.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM
mridenour

When the wind is affecting my cast adversely, I haul on the back-cast if the the wind is at my back or on the forward stroke if I am casting into the wind. The extra load on the rod helps it punch through the wind for me. I also keep the line as low to the water as I can. Sometimes I cast left-handed to get a better angle to the wind as well. I was forced to learn to cast left-handed last fall when I had my rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder.

The most important thing is to keep fishing in windy conditions and shorten your casts until you learn to manage them and gradually lengthen them as you get the hang of the different technique. I fished in lots of wind in all of my winter trips and was rewarded with a lot of nice fish.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

I see a lot of great suggestions mentioned. I've used many of these methods in the past. Nowadays, I will usually go with a shorter rod. My current rod of choice is a 3-piece fiberglass Browning Silaflex which had 4 or more inches broken from the tip. I don't know the original length, but now the rod is just about 7 foot and casts 6-7 weight and heavier with power. Even with the shortened length and the rod not having its original tip action, playing fish with it is more pleasureable than most graphite I've owned.

On an associated note: I prefer casting into the wind than having the wind blowing from my right. A few years ago I was fishing a yellow sponge spider for bluegill when a sudden gust of wind blew the fly into the path of my face. Despite my efforts, I had to go to the walk-in clinic to have it removed from my lip. My wife still likes to relate the story of my hooking the "big one".

Therefore, another practice I like to use, especially when there is much wind: pinching the barb of the hook.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman View Post

On an associated note: I prefer casting into the wind than having the wind blowing from my right. A few years ago I was fishing a yellow sponge spider for bluegill when a sudden gust of wind blew the fly into the path of my face. Despite my efforts, I had to go to the walk-in clinic to have it removed from my lip. My wife still likes to relate the story of my hooking the "big one".

Therefore, another practice I like to use, especially when there is much wind: pinching the barb of the hook.
That is a great time to cast left-handed. It has served me well and my casting stroke has less wasted motion in it with my off-hand. I do tire more quickly casting left-handed though.
standman likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
That is a great time to cast left-handed. It has served me well and my casting stroke has less wasted motion in it with my off-hand. I do tire more quickly casting left-handed though.
That's definitely a good idea. I've done a little off-hand casting, but only enough to still feel "all-thumbs".
mridenour likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 PM

wyatt96 is on a distinguished road

High angled back casts, low angle forward casts work best for me with nymphs but for dry flies i would have to say quartering the wind with a side arm cast if you can.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:49 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

When I am faced with a stiff head wind, I bend my elbow really far and then at the time when I get it really bent back, I pour the beer into my mouth....then when the wind stops I will set my beer down and get back into the river and fish. sorry I will be in the corner.
markfrid, frogg and fq13 like this.