The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Casting into the wind

Okay, guys. I tried. I deliberately left the spinning rod in the trunk and took the fly rod on the small lake I fish yesterday. The wind was blowing. And blowing. And blowing. No matter where I went, it seemed like the wind was blowing right into my face.

I already cast as well as a one-legged duck walks and swims but it was totally stupid yesterday. No way could it work.

I hate to say it but, after an hour, I got my spinning rod and even had a little hard time casting it.

What really irritated me was that I was seeing a number of mayflies (or something?) hit the water. Spent. And none of them lasted more than 20-30 seconds before they were sucked up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ,
ray
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting into the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Okay, guys. I tried. I deliberately left the spinning rod in the trunk and took the fly rod on the small lake I fish yesterday. The wind was blowing. And blowing. And blowing. No matter where I went, it seemed like the wind was blowing right into my face.

I already cast as well as a one-legged duck walks and swims but it was totally stupid yesterday. No way could it work.

I hate to say it but, after an hour, I got my spinning rod and even had a little hard time casting it.

What really irritated me was that I was seeing a number of mayflies (or something?) hit the water. Spent. And none of them lasted more than 20-30 seconds before they were sucked up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ,
ray
It sucks, only way to describe it. Try switching to a sidearm cast keeping the line lower will reduce the exposure to the wind. Also keep your casts short because a long cast will just hang there and the line just piles up.
Good Luck
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Try switching to a sidearm cast keeping the line lower will reduce the exposure to the wind.
Sidearm would be my first choice, too.
A roll cast also works pretty well.
Anything to keep the line out of the wind as much as possible.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

In addition to the side arm to keep the line and fly out of the wind, I have also had good success with reversing the whole process.

What I mean by that is that I turn around so my back cast is being delivered into the wind. Rather than delivering the fly on the forward cast, you deliver it on the back cast.

It sounds strange, but it works.
busbus likes this.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I turn around so my back cast is being delivered into the wind. Rather than delivering the fly on the forward cast, you deliver it on the back cast.
This sounds really intriguing...does it really work? How can it be any different than the forward cast?

I take it you would use a side-arm approach along with this...

Quote:
A roll cast also works pretty well.
I tried the roll cast. No workie. I know part of it is because I am not the greatest caster.

But, to what swilcaster said, short casts "sort of" worked and, by seeing those flies fall like leaves on the water, I didn't need to go very far from shore.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This sounds really intriguing...does it really work? How can it be any different than the forward cast?

I tried the roll cast. No workie. I know part of it is because I am not the greatest caster.

But, to what swilcaster said, short casts "sort of" worked and, by seeing those flies fall like leaves on the water, I didn't need to go very far from shore.
Using a back cast also works well if the wind is blowing over your casting shoulder (pushing the fly line towards your body). It's safer than ducking the fly or acquiring any unwanted piercings...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

It does! Don't get me wrong, you aren't going to add 50' to your cast like this but you can add a bit of distance and make things a bit on the easier side.

As for "why" it works - not 100% sure on that. I think, at least in my case, I tend to have more power/line speed on my backcast than I do on my front cast. I basically use the wind to equalize that. The wind carries line further on my "forward" cast and I generate enough power in my "backcast" to deliver the fly.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I live in a windy area and fish windy mountain lakes. After a streamer kissed my left cheek incident; I am now spending my practice time on quick shooting the line with a single haul, side arm cast, roll casting, and t-snap single handed casting.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice already...I live in a windy area...not rare to have winds over 100kmph...you can also shorten your tippet and "flatten" your fly...hope you understand what I mean
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Good advice already...I live in a windy area...not rare to have winds over 100kmph...you can also shorten your tippet and "flatten" your fly...hope you understand what I mean

I think I understand. The "flatter" the fly, the less wind resistance...as long as you keep it parallel to the "wind" and it is not on an angle; otherwise, the wind might get a hold of it and make things worse...maybe?

Shorten the tippet. Good idea!

Speaking of, I tried using a furled leader like these: Streamside Leaders .

Okay? Or bad idea? I seem to have better luck getting a straight cast using one of these leaders but maybe I am imagining things. And maybe they are not good in certain conditions and circumstances.