The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM

speycracker is on a distinguished road
Default Uplining

I tried casting my 9' 6 weight rod lined with a WF11F SWT line. My strokes were slow and lazy with no abrupt stops. Roll casts were getting out to about 60 feet and Belgian casts may have been pushing 80. There was no effort on my part and I don't believe the rod was getting abused.

This is a fast action rod with a butt extension to facilitate two handed casting. i consider this a very relaxing way to fish and the heavy line will handle large flies. What say you?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uplining

That is rediculously overlined. I would not do it.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That is rediculously overlined. I would not do it.
What he said^^^ That is a recipe for disaster, your lucky the rod didn't break. One line up is ok, two under extreme situations.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

honest question-> has anyone seen a rod damaged by overlining?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Iím with Diver Dan and Swirlchaser, thatís a little steep for a 6wt. I upline all the time depending on how the rod weighs out Iíll use a 12 on a 10wt fast rod, Iíll use a 6 on a 5wt a 10 on a 8wt a 7 Ĺ on a 6wt, it depends on the rod but Iíve never over lined 5 times its rating.

Rick
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I've broken two. Uplining in the surf is pretty common, I went two lines up on a TFO 9wt to compensate for wind and snapped the tip section in half. Did the same with a 10wt
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

that's nasty...thanks for the answer
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
that's nasty...thanks for the answer
If you slow down your cast you'll be fine. I'm always looking to get a little more distance so combine +2 line weights with a double haul and hard push on the forward cast and it gets ugly...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You already got your answer, but here's what happens when you use something heavier than it's rated for. Stuff breaks.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks for that Dan...it'll take a day or two to get the visual of her BEFORE going down the slide out of my head.

I overline some rods, others not, depending. No danger of putting an 8 wt line on my 3 wt...