The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Yard Practice ?

Practicing my casting motion in the yard, is using a strike indicator with the small rubber ring tied to a level leader an acceptable lure/fly to use in practice or is it too heavy and not telling me the true result of my cast. I still get the crumpled pile of leader/indicator at times and other times its purdy...
sumojo likes this.

Last edited by jimp; 05-10-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: horrible spelling LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yard Practice ?

Try taking a piece of yarn and tying it to the end of your leader. I've got a 1/2" piece of Glo Bug yarn on the end of mine and it seems to work well. Getting out there and practicing, even if your line ends up in a pile, will be beneficial in the long run.
mcnerney, MoscaPescador and sumojo like this.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Jaybo pretty much covered.

I have mentioned using a yarn strike indo-bobber to simulate wind resistant flies before. I use that recommendation for test casting heavier rods designed to throw deer hair bass flies.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You might have better luck if you don't use the level leader. Just as with a fly, your yarn will end up more often laying out righ if you make a tapered leader. That's why you don't use a level leader for fishing.

I say this a lot, if you want to improve your casting, video is the best tool other than practice. Both video of others, and video of yourself.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, will switch over to a tapered leader, was using level leader just for the yard practice and didn't think it would matter much, was wondering more about the wieght of the strike indicator vs small poppers/flies for BG's and crappie as those are my targets when I get the casting motion down better.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

I agree using a tapered leader helps greatly in practice. Most of the bull gills and big Crappies love brush and structure and getting a fly near cover and under branches pays big benefits. Accuracy practice is very helpful. Try putting your piece of yarn under a lawn chair at 40 feet. It also helps to see that the line is generating enough power when straightening to turnover a fly. Sometimes, wind resistant flies (and weighted ones) lag behind on the turnaround of the cast and drop, creating tailing loops. Using a tapered leader will help in the turnover and learning good technique.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you fish with an indicator, then it might be a good idea to practice with one as well.
While using a level leader might not help, I don't think that it will make all that much difference as casting the indicator will be the larger challenge.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

You can always make a cheap tapered leader by tying 2-4 pieces of mono together stepping down a few .001" with each section.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
You can always make a cheap tapered leader by tying 2-4 pieces of mono together stepping down a few .001" with each section.
would all the knots and such not affect the overall process thru increased wind resistance ??

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If you fish with an indicator, then it might be a good idea to practice with one as well.
While using a level leader might not help, I don't think that it will make all that much difference as casting the indicator will be the larger challenge.
Do you think a strike indicator is harder to cast than say a small popper or fly for BG's and crappie ??
Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that someone should practice using the rig that they plan on fishing with.... Are you using poppers or an indicator rig ?

BTW, I always fish my bass poppers on 6' +/- of straight (non-tapered) mono leader.
And all my tapered leaders, up to 14' are all hand knotted....there's no wind resistance