The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 PM

grundy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newby casting dilema

Thanks for the help! I'm going to try making a loop out of the butt material of a leader.

Regards,

Brian
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM

bambam is on a distinguished road

I like to tie a whipped loop.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Just because your welded loop is gone doesn't mean you can't enjoy the same sort of convenience.

You can do a few things:

1. Tie a nail knot to your fly line and perfection loop to the tag end of the leader material you just tied on.
2. Use a braided loop connector. I know Rio makes them and Cortland used to.
3. You can still make the loop out of the fly line by making a loop at the end of your line and either wrapping it with tying thread then coating it or using some heat shrink tube to hold the line together.

I'm sure there are probably a method or two I've missed but those are three easy ones.

When this line has seen better days and if you have the luxury, use a cheap reel and spool it up to be used as your practice line.

Looks like chased was a little faster at the keyboard than me.
Jaybo, Does practice casting in grass harm your fly line?

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundy View Post
I bought a nice new flyline. I've been practicing in the yard, and the welded loop ended up splitting near where the loop was welded back to the mainline. I'm guessing the grass did this? I now have nail knotted the leader to the flyline, but really enjoyed changing the loop to loop connection to switch from my practice leader to my fishing leader.

My concern is repeatedly re-doing the nail knot and starting to get into the taper of the flyline.

I'm finally able to consistently cast the bulk of the flyline and a very small portion of the running line. in the yard at least...

Anyone else have this problem/solution?

Thanks,

Brian
I fish on the grass as often as in the water and never seen that kind of damage. But of course the "grass" in California is "different".
Anyway, if you just got the line brand new, return it to the seller. You might have a bad one. Almost all fly store will exchange it for you except C....flyshop.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I've been practicing in the yard, and the welded loop ended up splitting near where the loop was welded back to the mainline. I'm guessing the grass did this
If you are still around, Brian, you want to make sure you tie some yarn or a little strip of rag or something to the end of the leader. It will help to save wear and tear on the loop as well as the leader itself.

Much of Florida's grass is more like vines with grass sprouts growing from them that are very stiff and that wear fly lines pretty quickly. It often has a mix of sand spurs and creeping charlie mixed in that are also not nice to fly lines. Add a liberal sprinkling of coral dust and particles and salt crystals on and in it and it's not the best environment for fly lines.

The grass up north is much softer and less abrasive. So yes, grass can cause varying degrees of wear depending on the environment.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

When I get a new line the first thing I do is cut the factory loop off. nail knot on my own perfection loop in a pieceClick the image to open in full size. of amnesia.
rusty 54 likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Jaybo, Does practice casting in grass harm your fly line?
I believe it certainly can and prolonged use may contribute to premature wear. I think some of this may depend on where you're casting and what's laying around. To be safe, this is why I recycle old fly line and put it on a cheapie/old or extra reel. Practice casting anywhere without worrying about it damaging my good line.

By all means, make sure there's an old leader on it with a piece of yarn tied to the end of it.

Don't get me wrong, if I get new line and want to know what it feels like on a rod before I get to the stream, I'll go into the yard and cast it a bit but I have a separate reel spooled with old line for practice casting. Other's experiences/opinions may differ, but this has worked well for me.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Jaybo. This forum keeps teaching me new things!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
jaybo41 likes this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 PM

wyatt96 is on a distinguished road

Ive had this happen and all i did was cut off the tip of the line where weld was for the loop and i just tied a perfection loop at the end of the fly line to make a new loop. It worked great!