The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Newby casting dilema (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/318985-newby-casting-dilema.html)

grundy 05-09-2013 09:44 PM

Newby casting dilema

I bought a nice new flyline. I've been practicing in the yard, and the welded loop ended up splitting near where the loop was welded back to the mainline. I'm guessing the grass did this? I now have nail knotted the leader to the flyline, but really enjoyed changing the loop to loop connection to switch from my practice leader to my fishing leader.

My concern is repeatedly re-doing the nail knot and starting to get into the taper of the flyline.

I'm finally able to consistently cast the bulk of the flyline and a very small portion of the running line. :) in the yard at least...

Anyone else have this problem/solution?

Thanks,

Brian

chased 05-09-2013 09:58 PM

Re: Newby casting dilema

You can weld a new loop on with some shrink tubing. There are some videos on YouTube showing how its done, it is tricky but can make some excellent loops. You can use fly tying thread and double over the fly line to make a loop, then do several whip finishes. There are also several different types of braided loops you can get from Cortland, SA, Rio, etc. One other thing to try would be to nail not a few inch piece of heavy monofilament (20lb+) to the end of the fly line, then tie a perfection loop in the heavy mono. This will act as your fly line loop.

Hope this helps....

Chase

jaybo41 05-09-2013 10:01 PM

Just because your welded loop is gone doesn't mean you can't enjoy the same sort of convenience.

You can do a few things:

1. Tie a nail knot to your fly line and perfection loop to the tag end of the leader material you just tied on.
2. Use a braided loop connector. I know Rio makes them and Cortland used to.
3. You can still make the loop out of the fly line by making a loop at the end of your line and either wrapping it with tying thread then coating it or using some heat shrink tube to hold the line together.

I'm sure there are probably a method or two I've missed but those are three easy ones.

When this line has seen better days and if you have the luxury, use a cheap reel and spool it up to be used as your practice line.

Looks like chased was a little faster at the keyboard than me.

jimp 05-10-2013 05:34 AM

I bought a cheap Cortland reel with line (6WF F) from walmart to use as my practice line and tied a short piece of mono to the fly line and made a perfection loop so I could experiement/change out things quickly/easily. good practice on tieing those $%^$ knots as well. :thumbsupu

tbum2020 05-12-2013 03:42 AM

You can actually avoid this by tying in a 8 ft. leader with heavier butt section material, you still have to taper it. When instructing on dry land I tie 8ft leaders @ 50lb - 30lb 3 ft sections then 2 ft of 15lb red amneisia. The amneisia serves as a visual aid allowing you verify how the line lays. When you cast without a leader the loop (end) of your fly line breaks due to the insane velocity is achieves in the transfer of momentum. I bet you occasionally hear a crack when casting without the leader, this crack is a result of supersonic speed, it breaks the sound barrier!

Jackster 05-12-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 554461)
1. Tie a nail knot to your fly line and perfection loop to the tag end of the leader material you just tied on.

I like this option best. You already have a leader nail knotted to your line so cut the leader off a few inches from the nail knot, put a perfection loop in the end and another in the end of the leader you just cut off and you're there!

silver creek 05-12-2013 01:32 PM

I agree with the above.

If you can't tie a nail knot try the nail-less nail knot.

Gary Borger Nailless Nail Knot

Coat the knot with Pliobond Cement to get a smooth flexible coating that will not catch on the guides.

http://www.stoneriveroutfitters.com/prodimg/K080221.jpg

wjc 05-12-2013 11:27 PM

Siver,

I hope they never quit making pliobond or change the recipe. You can tell from the smell that it's known to Californians to cause brain warts and blindness.

I try a lot of new products that come out, and have found nothing as good as pliobond for lots of thngs, including knots. Out of curiosity, I did a search and got back as far as the Korean War via heresay for when it first came out.

I just found a spool last week in an old box of junk for a star drag Pfleuger Supreme with a bimini backing loop faired in with pliobond that I did right around 1976. Still flexible - needing no touchup. It's a 3" spool if anyone knows anyone who could use it.It's in excellent shape.

silver creek 05-13-2013 10:39 AM

You are right about the smell. It is instantaneously recognizable. I bought 5 small tubes of Pliobond back in the 1970s. I am still on the second tube.

I put it on the knot and let it dry for a while. Then you can lick your fingers and mold the Pliobond so that the ends are tapered and there is nothing to catch on the guides. I have not found anything better.

random user 05-13-2013 06:34 PM

I'm a big fan of these.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...BL._SS500_.jpg

Never had issues with them, but they are not popular here.