The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: "FEEL" On The Forward Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
No I haven't Jim. I thought it would be better to get quite comfortable with regular straight plain casts in still water before I try to get fancy with "double hauls", reaches and mends.

It's coming, and I'm somewhat pleased with my progress. I know Rome wasn't built in a day and I have to be patient with this new sport.

Jamie
You seem wise beyond your years (even though I have no idea of your age!)
Build on a good, solid foundation of the basics and you'll be hard to beat.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's coming, and I'm somewhat pleased with my progress.
That's good, you should be.

Most people want to jump into double hauling before they have the backcast down, and it just don't work. There is no magic in the double haul. Jackster is 100% correct. Get the stroke and timing down and learn how to tighten and open the loop.

There was a gentleman's competition on another site (professional competition casters) which was a 5 wt distance competition with the line hand in the pocket. Even those guys were amazed at the distances they were able to achieve without the double haul. Most cast only about 12 - 15% shorter that way than their average when using the double haul. And there were a whole bunch of them involved.

Of course, it was a lot more work with long lines carried - but it was truly amazing to all.

You're getting there, keep at it.

Once you start feeling a good tug as your backcast unrolls, you can try shooting a little line into it, the way you are doing on your forward cast when false casting. That will do several things.

1) It will keep you focused on executing a good backcast. Most inexperienced caster's minds are intently focused on the forward casting cycle, and shut down completely at all other times.

2) If the line actually shoots, it will let you know that you have executed a decent backcast - and if not, you haven't, and cannot expect a good forward cast to follow it.

3) Shooting line into the backcast is half of the double haul, and you will be building muscle memory for the hardest part of the double haul to get.

4) It will shorten the number of false casts needed to get the fly in the water where it belongs.

5) Once this becomes muscle memory, you can shut your mind down to everything involving casting, and concentrate on the fish moving across the flats, or rising in an eddy and so on.

That is how I am when fishing (as my ex used to say). Totally mindless at all times.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-16-2010, 04:23 PM

rrdstarr is on a distinguished road

I think I am at the stage of the OP! LOL!
It is my 7th lesson, after an absence of 30 years from fly fishing, and I too am getting the "feel" of when my cast is right. I can close my eyes and feel it in my false casts before I present it. My problem(s) are an old wound to my right shoulder that never got the chance to heal correctly and am a bit "wristy", as my instructor says on the back-cast. I go once a week for an hour with him and try to do a couple 20 minute sessions on my own during the week.

I carry 40' of line outside the rod and can shot 20' extra so I think I am doing well. Using a Redington 5wt combo.

Don't think I have anything to add to the discussion just to compare myself to the OP! LOL!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 PM

flylogic is on a distinguished road

I agree with the double haul as a short cut that takes away from a true asertation of the quality of ones cast. A true test is casting 50 ft with tight loops using the rod hand only. Once you have mastered this then add the double haul without forgeting timing. Give it a try its harder than it sounds we use the doublr haul to cover up all sorts of casting problems.