The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM

justin1 is on a distinguished road
Default Casting issue

I am wondering if someone may be able to help me out? I seem to have developed an issue with my foward cast when fishing a dry fly. It tends to happen when I get excited or when I'm casting in chest deep water. On the foward cast the leader get's "squirrely" it sort of flies left to right erratically (like a dogs tail wagging when he is about to get a treat) and then slaps down hard on the water. I have been trying to analyze what I am doing wrong and can't seem to figure it out. It's not a tailing loop. I'm not sure what its called, but its becoming an issue. I put down a few nice fish over the weekend.

Appreciate any help..

Last edited by justin1; 06-10-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casting issue

Welcome to the forum Can't help with your casting issue, but I'm sure some of the guys on here can and will
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

Check your rod tracking....you curving the tip path on the fore cast?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1 View Post
I am wondering if someone may be able to help me out? I seem to have developed an issue with my foward cast when fishing a dry fly. It tends to happen when I get excited or when I'm casting in chest deep water. On the foward cast the leader get's "squirrely" it sort of flies left to right erratically (like a dogs tail wagging when he is about to get a treat) and then slaps down hard on the water. I have been trying to analyze what I am doing wrong and can't seem to figure it out. It's not a tailing loop. I'm not sure what its called, but its becoming an issue. I put down a few nice fish over the weekend.

Appreciate any help..

Here's the bad news.

It is impossible for me to tell what you are doing in your casting stroke without a video of you casting. In fact, I cannot tell if your normal casting stoke is a good or bad without seeing you cast. You may have an inefficient casting motion that cannot compensate for the situations where you are having difficulty.

Just like a baseball player that has a bad stance at the plate cannot hit a curve ball, a fly caster must have sound fundamentals when they need to make varying casts. Does that make sense?

Secondly, you don't even say whether you are right or left handed caster. This is important.

Given that I cannot be certain what is going on, here are several possibilities.

If you are a right handed caster and the cast lands the leader hooks right to left, it may be a cast that hit the water before the leader straightened. The fact that it hits the water hard suggest that this may be what is happening

If you are a left handed caster and the cast is going from left to right, the rod tip must be going left to right just before the stop.

Are you unconsciously casting more sidearm, like a karate chop that goes from high to low and is slanted right to left?

Are you turning your head to look at your backcast. This backward turn of the head can cause a shoulder turn which then causes your casting arm and the rod tip to move in an arc from left to right on the forward cast left handed caster. Normally this causes a curve but not the hook you are describing.

For both lefties and righties, when an elbow forward or low elbow style of caster wades deep, they have to change their normal casting motion or the elbow of the casting arm will hit the water. The inexperienced caster does not know how to cast from the elbow up position and move the rod tip in a straight line to the target.

Check to see if any of the above could be at fault.

Here is a little article on the three major casting styles.

http://fedflyfishers.org/Portals/0/D...l%20Styles.pdf
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not a perfect caster by no means, I'm trying to work out the tailing loops I have, I had a similar problem to yours. Do you think it's being caused by not casting straight forward and straight back ? I know if you have a variation other than that it could cause the line to swirl on your back cast and thus on your forward cast the line become "squirrelly". I'm sure there is someone on here that might have a better insight. Welcome to the forum !
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Thank you for the replies and the welcomes guys.

I have been fly fishing 5 years, and most of the time on the Delaware. My casting in general is pretty good and accurate, most of the time. This is something that has been happening recently. I had someone look at my cast over the weekend to see if they could see what I was doing wrong. Needless to say I couldn't do it then. It only seems to happen at the most inconvenient times. I am a right handed caster. I think what bobbrown posted is what is happening. I think it is a tracking problem. How do you go about fixing this?
What's bugging me about this casting flaw is that it is so subtle, I can't detect it in my stroke to see where it is happening in order to fix it.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, by "it sort of flies left to right" in describing the leader, do you mean the part of the leader that is closer to you is to the left side or the right side of the part of the leader that is further way from you?

Several other questions. When this happens:

Is it when you are trying to cast further than normal or into the wind?

Also can you double haul and if so, can you link this to when you need to double haul?

As to a tracking problem, have someone stand directly in line with your right shoulder from the front and have them look at the path of your rod tip. Tell them to look to see if the rod tip has any kind of arc to the outside (away from your body) or inside (toward your body) as seen from the front.

Also have then look at the rod tip at the stop. Does in dip straight or slightly to the inside or outside of your body at the stop?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Just to clarify, by "it sort of flies left to right" in describing the leader, do you mean the part of the leader that is closer to you is to the left side or the right side of the part of the leader that is further way from you?

Several other questions. When this happens:

Is it when you are trying to cast further than normal or into the wind?

Also can you double haul and if so, can you link this to when you need to double haul?

As to a tracking problem, have someone stand directly in line with your right shoulder from the front and have them look at the path of your rod tip. Tell them to look to see if the rod tip has any kind of arc to the outside (away from your body) or inside (toward your body) as seen from the front.

Also have then look at the rod tip at the stop. Does in dip straight or slightly to the inside or outside of your body at the stop?
I feel in general I'm a good caster. It's not a timing thing and it doesn't happen when I haul. It tends to happen when I suddenly change direction. For instance... I am casting to a fish taking spinners. He's constantly moving up and down the pool. He never rises in the same place twice. In the middle of a back cast I suddenly have to change direction because he rose again where I least expected him to. I think I'm subconsciously turning my arm, or twisting something.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:43 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I know what you are talking about. I stopped fishing from water where my elbows touch the water. I know part of my problem was twisting my wrist (j-cast) and doing some wired things with am arms to keep my elbows out of the water.

After a few unexpected swims, I stopped wading that deep, and surprise, my problem was solved.

Have no idea how to correct the issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM

I'll never learn, I tell you. I nearly was swept away again this weekend. It's the second time in as many weeks the water came in over my waders and struggling to keep my footing.