The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM

dronedog is on a distinguished road
Default new guy and never really fished before

I just bought a fly rod this last weekend. went to a bass pro shop and asked the guy what I needed. I am sure he gave me the best deal for the area I fish but not sure he gave me something to my skill level.
as I said, I have never really fished. I ended up with a redington torrent 7wt rod. the surge reel and floating line. also got an assortment of popper and wooly buggers.
as of yet I have not tried any fishing. I am just practicing the casts. I watched a lot of videos and read a number of articles. I figure I need to be able to cast before I really worry about trying to hook a fish.
the casting has gone ok. I am using a piece of yarn for the fly. all of it on dry land or in a warehouse. what I read now tells me I would probably have been better off with a 5wt rod that is a medium speed.
I think my first day I did not allow enough line to start with. but since running 30 feet or so of line out, I seem to be doing a little better. I have realized that it is very important to not go past the 10 and 2 positions. otherwise the line just drops.
last night I was practicing and my line was flying pretty straight at about 30-35 feet but then it looked like my leader and fly would bunch up. is that because I am doing this on land and not in the water? no matter how quick I tried to be with the rod, the fly line would land straight but the leader did not.
I am not trying to feed the line yet or false cast. right now I just want to take it back and cast so I can lay down a straight line. learn some sort of rhythm. I am also practicing my roll casts. these do not seem to have those tight loops I see on the videos. imagine that!
well anyway, hello to all. I am sure I will have some questions as I progress. I have read a number of articles so far and enjoy the info.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: new guy and never really fished before

My advise to you: cease and desist. This hobby is a disease. You will spend lots of money on equipment, you'll alienate your friends and family due to the amounts of time spent fishing and you'll waste even more time dealing with people on this and other forums looking for answers to questions that have been asked several thousand times.

BUT, if you decide to persist in this endeavor, I strongly suggest taking a casting class. While a friend or relative may give you pointers, all you will likely end up learning is their bad habits. A certified casting instructor will get you a good foundation.

Oh, and the 7 should be godo for many things, but a 5wt is a bit easier for a beginner.
mcnerney, jpbfly and yonder like this.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I may be the leader design or it may be that you have reached your limit, or it may be both.

Some leaders are no designed to land straight as an arrow. The slack leader allows for the fly to float without drag.

I would try a cast that is 5 feet shorter and see if the leader lies straighter. If it lies straighter then part of the problem is your casting. If it looks the same it could be the leader.

It is hard to tell exactly without seeing you cast.

Most beginners have a poor stop. It has to be hard and abrupt to complete the cast. Work on a hard stop and see if that helps.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM

thanks. you are right about the hard stop. that is hard to do. I was thinking about putting a 5' step ladder in front of me so I would have to stop or bust my hand. not there yet though.

or maybe I should take the advice of not starting. haha. yup felt the same way 15 years ago when I picked up a golf club for the first time. but I got time. I will get it at some point.
funny I was reading about keeping the grip comfortable. yet after 5 casts I can feel my hand and arm are so tight. again just like when I started golf. choke the heck out of it. and that just slows everything down.

I will check to see if there is anyone close around to get a lesson. good advice there.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a pretty decent bass set-up.

As suggested, take some casting lessons. Save yourself the headache of teaching yourself. (Is very hard to teach what you do not already know.)

Loop control is everything. You can make distance if you can't form a loop. You can't control the leader if you can't control the loop.

Start with 3 or so rod lengths of line and a 7.5' leader. Learn to throw a n open loop and a tight loop. Once accomplished, add a rod length of line and repeat.

With a tight loop, your leader will be strait out. With a more open loop, your leader will be wiggly-strait. With an over-open or no loop you leader will puddle. It all comes down to timing and gentle application of abrupt force.

Once you learn to control your loop, start in on loop control with a double haul.

Loop + double haul = distance. Once you get the distance thing out of your system, you can work on what matters, accuracy, fly presentation and casting in adverse conditions.

Your choice, a couple hours of lessons or hours upon days upon weeks ,etc of teaching yourself something you do not know.

Have you considered hitting up the local fly shop and "Hey, I need help learning to cast. What do you have for suggestions?"

Good luck and Welcome.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!
Follow the advice the others have given, don't do what I did back in the early 80's, I tried to teach myself casting and all I did that first year was beat the water around me to a froth. A good casting instructor will steepen your learning curve immensly......well worth the money spent!
yonder likes this.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM

michigan_fisher is on a distinguished road

I know why you guys say take casting lessons in all. Mostly because I take drum lessons which I am good at drumming but my mentor catches flaws or bad habits. But with modern day technology you can find many videos that teach this stuff and learn on your own then later take casting lessons so you don't waste to much valuable time on easy stuff. But am just a beginner too and that is just my plan l.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM

thanks again all.
I have been looking for a fly shop and someone to give lessons. So far no luck for southern DE. but I will keep asking and searching. As of now I am relying on all I can read and watch.
I have been practicing each day and my loops are definitely getting tighter. plus I seem to be able to do it while being a lot more relaxed with the grip. the one exception is roll casting. my loops are still a lot more open than what I think I see on the videos. I am going to look for a more forgiving rod also to see if that helps.
I did not mention that a lot of my fishing will probably be from a kayak. That may also change some things.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

What kinds of water are you fishing, and what are you fishing for?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronedog View Post
thanks again all.
I have been looking for a fly shop and someone to give lessons. So far no luck for southern DE. but I will keep asking and searching. As of now I am relying on all I can read and watch.
I have been practicing each day and my loops are definitely getting tighter. plus I seem to be able to do it while being a lot more relaxed with the grip. the one exception is roll casting. my loops are still a lot more open than what I think I see on the videos. I am going to look for a more forgiving rod also to see if that helps.
I did not mention that a lot of my fishing will probably be from a kayak. That may also change some things.
Good to hear your are getting dome loop control. Once you get that down with a double haul, you have most of what you need. 15 - 20 minutes on the lawn every night can do wonders if you use the time wisely. Rool cast are really hard off the grass. You need water tension on the line to load the rod.