The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about
Default Difference is casting rod wts ?

Is there any difference in casting technique/approach with different rod weights ? For example, if I did distance, roll, or double haul casting with a 5wt then moved to a 9wt and did the same casting type. is there anything that needs to change in technique/approach or is it all the same ?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Difference is casting rod wts ?

Basically, and that is using the expression in extreme, things are somewhat the same. However, as with any change of rod and line there will be differences. Since you would be moving up in line weight there will be additional energy needed to preform the same casts as you would be doing with a 5 weight.

I fish with a 9' 9 weight rod a lot. The rod is an old Orvis Silver Label with a DT 9 floating line. After you become accustomed to the rod it seems pretty easy to fling fairly large flies with it.

Ard
Jackster likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 AM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

Would you say that transitioning from lower weights to higher is not too difficult ? I ask cause I normal fish a 5wt on river, going saltwater fishing in a few months and never done it, don't see that I can afford a higher wt set up to practice with before the trip.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It's not really difficult, it's just heavier line and the casting can becom a work out when you fish the surf or bays. You'll catch right on if you are casting well with your #5 rod.
kicker19 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I agree with Ard, but also there's more weight to the entire outfit. It's like going from a light 6 ft spinning out fit you might use for trout to a 10 ft surf rod. The rod, the reel & the line weighs more.

Weight requires more energy to handle, and usually means the casting stroke has to be adjusted. It's the same cast as Ard said, but you'll be waving around a considerable difference in actual weight.

I know when I use my 3 or 4 wt a lot then go to using my 9 or 10 wt, I feel the difference & have to adjust.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I've found that good casting is good casting pretty much regardless of the outfit --

I agree with Jim, but on the flip-side I really think that sometimes the heavier outfit is less fatiguing on the caster. I've been out several times with a 3 or 5 weight casting into heavy winds and been totally exhausted at the end of the day whereas a 7-8 weight probably would have been MUCH easier to use. To me, it's more difficult to generate high line speed with light outfits in the wind than it is for heavier line outfits. Regardless of the actual weight of the tackle.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that it the rod weight as much as the rod action the makes a difference
I know that if I try to transition from fishing my very fast 10wt to my extremely slow 4wt., I find it very difficult to adjust.
.. and I've had that 4wt for over 40 years.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

To a new caster like me, not so much the weight difference; but more like the rod flex and lengths. My Roll casting, Double hauling, Belgian cast are based on the type of lines, fly sizes and what the rods transmitted to me when I am casting.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks gents for the input ! I guess it might be in my best interest to find a heavier set up so I could at least be familiar with it before going on this trip. Thanks for adding to this addiction HA HA HA
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM

pjcalla will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post
Thanks gents for the input ! I guess it might be in my best interest to find a heavier set up so I could at least be familiar with it before going on this trip. Thanks for adding to this addiction HA HA HA
Here is my trip summed up. Yes, it was my first time on the salt. Don't know what your plans are, but a little practice will make life easier. When I was wading in the surf, I didn't notice much difference between the 5 that I normally fish and the 8 that I used on the trip. When I got on a skiff, that's where it all changed...hahaha. Good luck.

Damn! That was a humbling experience.