The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default So Last Night I Decided To Try Casting A Wet Fly........

.....and the results were pretty pathetic, actually.

It was fairly windy so I figured dry flys wouldn't attract anything. I chose some sort of a black wooly bug with a red band and grey wings that was tied fairly large for a # 14 hook. Quite similar to the one shown here, but larger body:

Click the image to open in full size.

To say the least, I probably scared any fish within range well to the end of the pond and maybe into the next one.

How do you get a fly like that to land fairly softly without a splash? Am I wrong to think that can be used in still water?

Conditions were windy (at my back) with significant ripples on the water but due to the proximity to the shore, no rolling waves.

I did manage to hook a nice 10" Brookie but released it as the hook could be removed with minimal damage. It hit the fly so fast that I think it was after something else and my fly just happened to land right on it's nose.

As always, thanks in advance for any hints & tips!

Jamie.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: So Last Night I Decided To Try Casting A Wet Fly........

Jamie,

When it's Windy and the water rippling there is hardly a better time to thrash the water with big flies and less than perfect casts. The surface disturbance caused by the wind helps to hide every thing you are doing including the pick up, the false cast, and the landing.

Some fish, especially still water fish are attracted to a splash on the surface. It is like a dinner bell in still water conditions (but sometimes not when it's dead calm). Your fish are reduced to eating what is in or what lands on the pond. Since there is no steady inflow carrying a constant supply of goodies into the pond they have to be on the watch for whatever gets blown in or lands there to lay some eggs.

You may want to do some bottom research to discover what is going on down under. Many ponds are full of Helgermites, & Damsel fly nymphs among other aquatic insect larva. I know that slowly retrieving a sunken nymph on still water is not nearly as much fun as seeing a trout take a dry fly from the surface but if this is where you fish and you want to catch them you are going to have to figure them out. To sine the bottom you can use an aquarium net for small samples or a larger (usually home made) model that will resemble a minnie net but having a mess like the fiberglass screen product sold at your local home improvement center. I used both types while in my exploring days and found that the screen when stapled to a pair of 2X2's got the results quickly.

Hope that helps you out,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;