The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default sink tip casting help

i'm in need of advice...i can cast very well with floating lines but i have a wet tip express 300gr. for my 8 wt. and i can cast it but not very accurate. is there any videos someone would suggest? and also what are some tips for casting these lines? i know they are heavier but there's got to be some certain techniques for ease of casting.

thanks guys!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sink tip casting help

I guess I've never really put much thought into it personally... I can pick up a full floating, sink tip or full sink and not really think of changing my mechanics... I may speed up my cast depending on what's at the end of the line but unless I'm throwing a big sloppy musky fly usually sink tip and full sink involve slightly faster casting stroke for me as it'll usually load my rod faster than a floating line... Also just learning timing/power of the cast is important... Too much umphf and the sink tip will kick when all the line shoots out usually making for a less accurate presentation
MoscaPescador likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with itchmesir on this.

The difference between your 8 weight floater and the 300 grain streamer line is 90 grains. This is going to put more of a load on your rod than your floater. Basically it is slowing down the rod. You don't have to change your mechanics. You just need to adjust your timing in order to get you in sync with the slower load.

Dennis
Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

got it! i will adjust timing. thanks for the quick answers.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 PM

ZachMatthews will become famous soon enoughZachMatthews will become famous soon enough

bmbailes -

Think about what a sinking line is. Most fly line is made of PVC doped with glass microspheres to help the plastic float. The higher the desired weight of the line, the greater the thickness of the line jacket (the plastic part). This is why 12-weight floating lines are so thick.

With a sinking line, instead of containing microspheres with air in them, the jacket contains a heavy metal dust, often tungsten or lead. On your better quality lines the amount of this dust in the jacket is varied (this is called density compensation) so the line doesn't sink in a big U shape because its densest part is in the middle of the head.

But since sinking lines can be made with a lot of variability in terms of how much dust and how heavy a dust the maker wants to use, they don't need to go up in physical size to achieve a higher line rating. Not much, anyway; a 12-weight sinking line is thus extremely thin--thinner than 5 weight running line usually.

Whether with sink tips or with full sinking lines, that extra mass (coupled with reduce line volume) is going to speed up the linespeed of the line. For someone not used to throwing sinking lines, that can cause "dumping," which is what happens when the loop of line unrolls or "turns over" before the loop has finished shooting out to your target. Dumping leads to inaccuracy and splash-down presentations that scare fish.

You need to work on dampening this tendency for the line to turn over so fast. One way to do that is to simply slow down. The sink tip cuts wind like a needle and a full sink line is even better. There's no need to overpower these lines; they will get to your target on their own.

The next tip is slightly technical: the specific cause of dumping that distance casters have hit upon is insufficient "overhang." Overhang is the amount of line between the tip top guide on your rod and the back of the rear taper on the line's head. The more overhang you can carry, the greater the "ball and chain" effect you'll feel as a caster. However, the more overhang you can carry, the longer you can delay turnover and thus dumping is easier to avoid.

Non-technical advice: try to gently shoot line in both directions while false casting. Just let a foot or two slip through your fingers as your loop is unrolling in the backcast, especially right before your final forward stroke. This will take some of the oomph out of your cast and help the sink tip act more like the line you're used to and less like a live wire.

Good luck.

Zach
pheldozer likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM

Thanks Zach! Great tips. ...on a sidenote, any flagship around atl? I'll be there in a week or so.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 AM

ZachMatthews will become famous soon enoughZachMatthews will become famous soon enough

Flagship fishery? If you can get low water, the Chattahoochee is chock full of shoal bass right now.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 02335815 CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER BELOW MORGAN FALLS DAM, GA

Monitor that gauge. The place to fish is called the Devil's Racecourse.

Here's a map:

http://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisi...lisadesB&W.pdf

I would plan to walk in from Akers' Drive. You'll pass a big water wheel at the base of the hill - the Parks Service road is at the very top on the left after an apartment complex entrance. You'll need to walk down a steep hill and then back up so plan accordingly, but that will put you on the fishiest water in the area. I would bring a 5 weight and small clouser minnows. Strip those relatively slowly across the shelves you'll see. Don't throw at a shelf per se, but rather dance a fly across it so it is broadside on to the fish. They hide under the shelves.

Zach

Last edited by ZachMatthews; 07-31-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm, I never really thought of it. I just cast my lines without really noticing it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I'm just wondering if you are bringing the line to the surface before starting your cast. If not, try a roll cast to get the head up out of the water then go into your overhead cast. When the sinking portion is underwater it creates a lot more resistance than you might be used to.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM

yes i do bring it to the surface. the one thing i always hear guys say is...."well you should be ok in a boat but that sinking line will give you trouble when you wade fish" what does that pertain to??