The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Casting in no wind. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/327078-casting-no-wind.html)

krikau27 08-03-2013 09:27 PM

Casting in no wind.

I think I may be the first who starts a subject like this. Usually it's always casting in windy conditions threads. :)

I know how to cast. I fish in saltwater were 20-25 meter cast are the norm. But when there's no wind, my casting goes out the window. I don't know if it's just me, but when there's wind I cast nice loops and all is great, but when no wind, it just doesn't work for me.
Anyone experience the same when there's no wind?

Kim.

greg_h 08-03-2013 11:28 PM

Re: Casting in no wind.

I expect that when casting in the wind (if the wind is from the side), a very brisk back-cast and forecast help to keep the line from moving sideways too much. Or perhaps a more side-arm cast is used to keep the loop below the wind as much as possible.
When casting with the wind either from the front or the rear, a person usually casts hard and low into the wind (either fore or back) and more open and high with the wind.
None of these casts will work well when there is no wind (except maybe the side-arm to some degree), because the loop will be too open (and not unroll with the help of the wind) or be too tight (and have a tailing loop).
I suggest you relax, cast both fore and back with exactly the same energy and rod angle, and keep everything 'very medium'.
I cast most of the time from a boat on a large lake, and then in the winter when casting indoors for accuracy I have to really 'calm down' and use 1/2 the energy. Good luck.

herocast 08-05-2013 03:28 PM

When it's very windy I tend to overpower my cast a little bit to keep line speed up and cut through the wind. My thoughts are you need to either slow it down or be more gentle with the cast as Greg said.

krikau27 08-05-2013 08:31 PM

Thank you Greg for your answer.

Seems that the wind has allot to say when casting. My loops are so much better when there's wind. No wind and I can't cast well. However I do go for the distance and it's maybe the reason I struggle when no wind?

Kim.

krikau27 08-06-2013 03:34 AM

A little update:
I'm quite sure that some of my struggle has to do with too compact a stroke for the amount of line in the air.
When opening op the stroke and sling the line out in the last stroke makes me want to gigle :) it feels that good.

However I still think that no wind is a bit more challenging.

Kim.

greg_h 08-07-2013 09:06 PM

OK, I think we need a little clarity on what your cast is like when there is no wind. Does it fall short and loose, or do you have tailing loops? How far are you casting on average? What weight of line do you use (I presume something like 7wt or more if you are casting for distance)?

One thing about wind - it will provide more distance when the stroke is with the wind, and knock down a cast against the wind. If you are casting into the wind most of the time, I expect your forward stroke is too hard for no-wind. But as well, there is no wind to straighten your backcast and help with the load of the rod (and also make that happen sooner than with no wind). I wonder if your backcast is not forceful enough (most aren't) and if you are not allowing enough time for the backcast to straighten when you are casting in the calm.

I sure would like to see a video of your cast, but perhaps you could tell us more.

krikau27 08-08-2013 12:38 PM

Hi Greg.

Sorry for the confusion. I mix it together with other casting issues.

When I cast in no wind and going for distance as I usually do, the casting become more difficult. Loops are more open, and it feels like the energy is going everywhere else than in the loop. I think it might have something to do with the lacking wind will cause whatever wind Is there to rotate in all directions and thereby affecting the line?
Don't know, just a theory.
When there's wind there's no problems casting the line. I'm casting with the wind coming across from behind towards right.

I'm using a 7wt line on Sage One 691-4.

Kim.

silver creek 08-08-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krikau27 (Post 580197)

When there's wind there's no problems casting the line. I'm casting with the wind coming across from behind towards right.

If I understand you correctly, you are casting with a trailing wind rather than into a head wind. That tells you why your delivery cast is weaker - you do not have the tailing wind to help propel the forward cast.

Are you using an oval (Reverse Belgian) cast with a low backcast and a high forward cast? What is your casting motion exactly?

The next time there is a wind, try casting into the wind which is how almost everyone interprets casting "in" the wind. We assume "in" means "into".

krikau27 08-10-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver creek (Post 580342)
If I understand you correctly, you are casting with a trailing wind rather than into a head wind. That tells you why your delivery cast is weaker - you do not have the tailing wind to help propel the forward cast.

Are you using an oval (Reverse Belgian) cast with a low backcast and a high forward cast? What is your casting motion exactly?

The next time there is a wind, try casting into the wind which is how almost everyone interprets casting "in" the wind. We assume "in" means "into".

Just so I'm sure that you understand. I don't have the wind coming directly in my back, but at an angle across my body.

My casting motion is like Mel Kriergers. I pull the rod through the stroke. I try to have a high back cast and a level or higher forward cast. With the length of line I have in the air and the time it takes to straighten it will have dropped enough to not be completely out of plane.
Short cast - more compact stroke almost only using elbow, up, drift back and down.
Long stroke - forearm, upper arm and wrist work together.

Kim.

greg_h 08-20-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krikau27 (Post 580781)
Just so I'm sure that you understand. I don't have the wind coming directly in my back, but at an angle across my body.

But this still seems to suggest the wind is quartering over your left shoulder and is helping propel the cast.

Quote:

I try to have a high back cast and a level or higher forward cast.
A higher forward cast is good when the wind can help propel the cast. I also have an image of the backcast being high and the forecast being high so the movement of the rod tip is a smile. This will lead to tailing loops for sure. And with no wind to help propel the line forward, the line might fall in a heap.
The best cast, especially with no wind is a straight line cast - either perfectly horizontal, or with the backcast a little higher and the forecast a little lower - but either way the rod top moves in a straight line.

Quote:

Short cast - more compact stroke almost only using elbow, up, drift back and down.
This confuses me - I understand drifting back (if you mean behind you), but NOT down, unless the wind is coming from behind. Such a back stroke will just lead to an open loop on the forestroke.

Let's keep clarifying and get this one sorted.