The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM

fmjnax is on a distinguished road
Default Cracking the whip

So I just started with fly fishing this past weekend (on a cheap Pflueger combo, which may be part of the problem but I digress). In practicing, I have been whipping flies right off the line (cracking the whip). I know this is wrong, but I can't tell specifically what I am doing wrong to have this happen (switching to the back/forward cast too early/too late/too sudden/etc). Any ideas?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cracking the whip

I think what you are experiencing is caused by not delaying the forward cast long enough for the back cast to complete. You might try turning your head and watching the back cast, as it completes, then start the forward cast.

Hopefully one of the casting experts on this forum will see your question and provide better advice.

I'd highly recommend getting a little casting help from your local fly shop. You will be amazed at how fast you will improve with some hands on help from a professional.

Larry
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Larry has nailed it.

As the casts get longer, the delay between the backcast and forward cast must be longer. A newbie keeps the same timing and as you try to cast a bit further on the forward cast, you start too soon. The crack you hear is exactly like the crack of a bull whip.

As Larry says, you can put you right foot back (for a right handed caster) and this 45 degree stance will allow you to see your backcast. Another way to see you backcast is to cast side arm.

Both will work. Since you don't have the muscle memory give you timing cues, you need visual cues to tell you how long the delay should be.

As you practice repeat the back and forward casts without changing the distance to reinforce your muscle memory on how it feel to cast that amount of line. We want your body to learn what degree of rod bend and rod resistance = what amount of delay. Then extend line and practice at that length so your body learns to equate that amount of rod reel to that amount of delay.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM

fmjnax is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I think I understand. After more reading and video watching, I think I am starting to get the right motions and timing. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem (I'm a newbie, too, so I'm NOT relaying experience!). A friend, with a lot of experience, gave me much the same advice as you're seeing here. I went from losing 6-8 flies in a couple of hours, to none, after only a couple of outings, paying attention to the timing. Of course, I still lose flies to trees, snags, etc.

The "whip-crack" puts an incredible amount of stress on the tippet (so my physicist friend says). Much more than fighting a fish!

Tight lines!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I know that's a problem I had a long time ago when I first started fishing. It's just a matter of reminding yourself to slow things down.

Sometime try a little experiment and throw out a back cast and just watch it. It's up in the air for a surprisingly long time. Once you get a feel for it, you find out there is no big hurry required to make a forward cast.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I'm a newb/inexperienced FF'r as well, and I have to remind myself every time I pick up a fly rod "to slow down", slow everything down in the casting motion, both the back cast and the forward cast. You have to "wait for it, wait for it" so to speak.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:06 PM

mmb91 is on a distinguished road

Im a newb as well. Just took a fly fishing class for the first time just yesterday and the instructor went over how to avoid the "$2 snap". A quick little trick he told us was to say "Sacramento" before we begin our forward cast. It gives you a rough estimate of how much time it takes to load your rod during the backcast. After you get that down, youll be able to feel the pull of the fully loaded rod and youll know when to forward cast more accurately.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I was snapping off a few my first month. Especially when fishing with tall brush behind me and causeing me to ush even more. The guys have already told you the real problem, but there a couple minor things you can do to help while learning. Make sure you are using decent quality tippet that isn't old. I also did a one size plus up on tippet size temporarily. 5X or smaller is just not very forgiving.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough

forgive me for bumping an old thread here but i can't resist.
get out in a large open area get the line out in front of you on the ground. Make the back cast an stop....... let the line fall on the ground.... make the forward motion and as you do feel the line loading the rod, the line does not move forward as fast as the rod so the tip bends back. when you come to a compleat stop on the front cast the line will zip forward and you will feel the line load the rod tip again, you will feel it pull the rod tip forward before the line drops to the ground.
With the line in front make that deliberate back cast again and make sure you come to a deliberate stop and this time just take note of that feeling of the line passing you by and the loading of your rod towards the rear.
just keep doing this exercise 20 times. you will feel the loading on both the start of your cast and while you are waiting for that line to finish and load your rod again.
later you will feel that backward loading of that rod and that should be your trigger that it is the right time to make your forward motion in your cast.
you won't believe how long a time that really is and in the excitement of a stream you will find yourself rushing that stop period a lot and you will loose the power to make a clean straight cast. just remember that the whole key to fly casting is letting that rod load.