The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 PM

sjbdds is on a distinguished road
Default Casting dilemma

Hello
First post here. I am a newbie to fly fishing. This summer I thought I didn't have enough frustrating hobbies( golf, hunting dog, girlfriend)
So I decided I would try fly fishing.
I have been practicing in back yard w my
7'6" 3 wt ( almost everything I do is small creeks- smallmouth. Panfish....)

I can throw the yarn pretty accurately overhead and sidearm about 30-40 ft.
Dry flys not a problem.
Put me in my favorite creek and all is lost- rush cast, terrible loops- total spaz.
Fish are having a good laugh- I think the ones I catch are sympathy fish.

So today I am out at creek at a nice little pool that holds smallies most of the time. I start w a black # wooly bugger- no problems but no fish. I decide to use a white red streamer. I don't know what it was with this but all technique disappeared. Loops were open and awful, distance and accuracy gone.
Question is is there a diff technique to throwing streamers?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casting dilemma

Not really a "technique" so much...

Your problem was likely the rod here. I am not sure what kind of streamer you were throwing, but 3wts and streamers don't really go together. They are bigger, heavier, and more wind resistant. All things that make a 3wt quiver.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Was there much of a difference in the size and weight of the wooly bugger vs the streamer? Flies that have about the same mass and the same air resistance should cast about the same.

I laso presume you cut back your leader when you changed from dry flies to the wooly bugger. A larger diameter section of the leader is needed to turn over the larger flies.
mridenour likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 AM
mridenour

Did the wind change? That can be a real pain in the cast!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"I have been practicing in back yard w my
7'6" 3 wt ( almost everything I do is small creeks- smallmouth. Panfish....)"

I think Post # 2 by BFA may have nailed it. A rod that size has major application limitations ... and you may well have gone past that point. Other thought is 'grass casting' with a bit of fluff is very different from 'water loading.'

Bottom line is your rod is/was designed for very small flies fished in tight quarters. And that's not what you're trying to accomplish?

fae
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Fans of UL tackle (including me to varying degrees) will tell you that good casting technique will overcome quite a lot and I regularly fish small woolly buggers and my own minnow patterns on a 3-weight. However, I'm using fairly large leader material vs. the "norm" for a 3-weight (usually 4-6 pound mono) and the leaders are short (6-7').

Heavier fly line will help you a lot, regardless of technique. A 5 or 6-weight will probably be ridiculously more simple to cast for you.