The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM

zhaddock is on a distinguished road
Default Double hauling destroys my cast

So, i was out practicing this weekend and, when I cast without hauling I can get decently tight loops. When I start double hauling my distance goes up but, it looks very ugly. Any thoughts, could I be putting too much force into my haul?

Thanks,
Zach
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Double hauling destroys my cast

Just haul on the back-cast and get a feel for that before you add too much extra to your technique.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I'd say that either your timing is off or you are changing the plane of your rod tip when you do the haul. Since the haul is an inherently "down" action, you may be unintentionally moving your rod hand down as well. It could also be because you are trying to haul too hard. Just a little pressure with your line hand is all it takes to add that extra load.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The most common error in a beginner's double haul is timing. The haul comes later in the casting stroke when the line is going at near maximum speed just before the stop.

The second most common error is that they do not reposition the hauling hand after the haul.

The double hauling motion is a DOWN-UP motion. Beginners get the DOWN part but not the UP part. To perform the second haul, you ned to reposition your hauling hand back up so it can haul again.

The third most common error is that they haul too much line. A longer haul means that it takes longer to reposition the line hand. The longer the DOWN motion, the longer the UP motion must be. So when learning the double haul, use short hauls at first!

The fourth most common error is that they rotate their bodies to bring the hauling hand back up to the rod after backcast cast haul, so they can haul on the forward cast. That changes the rod path and can change the loop. This may be what is happening to you.

So I suggest practicing with short hauls at first to get the timing down. Don't move the hauling hand over longer distances which then take longer to reposition for the next haul. You can gradually increase the hauls when when you are doing the shorter haul correctly.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
The most common error in a beginner's double haul is timing. The haul comes later in the casting stroke when the line is going at near maximum speed just before the stop.

The second most common error is that they do not reposition the hauling hand after the haul.

The double hauling motion is a DOWN-UP motion. Beginners get the DOWN part but not the UP part. To perform the second haul, you ned to reposition your hauling hand back up so it can haul again.

The third most common error is that they haul too much line. A longer haul means that it takes longer to reposition the line hand. The longer the DOWN motion, the longer the UP motion must be. So when learning the double haul, use short hauls at first!

The fourth most common error is that they rotate their bodies to bring the hauling hand back up to the rod after backcast cast haul, so they can haul on the forward cast. That changes the rod path and can change the loop. This may be what is happening to you.

So I suggest practicing with short hauls at first to get the timing down. Don't move the hauling hand over longer distances which then take longer to reposition for the next haul. You can gradually increase the hauls when when you are doing the shorter haul correctly.
I have been repositioning my hands on the front and back cast and, my hauls are short 6-8". The timing may be what is getting me as I have been starting the haul almost simultaneously with the casting stroke.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaddock View Post
I have been repositioning my hands on the front and back cast and, my hauls are short 6-8". The timing may be what is getting me as I have been starting the haul almost simultaneously with the casting stroke.
A way to find your timing with a double haul is to break the rod in 1/2 and cast with only the top 1/2 of rod. This forces you to haul correctly, or you basically can't cast . I used to do it all the time and it worked really well.

Scratch that -- I will continue doing it. Everyone needs to work on their cast to keep it going smoothly. I believe I'll go out tonight and do the 1/2 rod thing for about 10 minutes -- remind me of my timing.

Just keep at it -- casting gets easier the more you do it, and once you have it boy is fly fishing a joy .
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
A way to find your timing with a double haul is to break the rod in 1/2 and cast with only the top 1/2 of rod. This forces you to haul correctly, or you basically can't cast . I used to do it all the time and it worked really well.

Scratch that -- I will continue doing it. Everyone needs to work on their cast to keep it going smoothly. I believe I'll go out tonight and do the 1/2 rod thing for about 10 minutes -- remind me of my timing.

Just keep at it -- casting gets easier the more you do it, and once you have it boy is fly fishing a joy .
Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

My favorite time to practice is while fishing at night while its pitch black. Went fishing last night for an hour and a half. Wind was up so I had to double haul the 9w. Anyway, try it because at that point you have to go solely by feel. If your loops are tight, just listen as you will hear the line on the water - pause for the leader and then streamer hits. After you get home I the light, check your leader to make sure there's no knots

While all this was going on last night, I had the Mother of all Strikes but no hook set :banghead:
mridenour likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-09-2013, 04:28 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaddock View Post
OK,

I think the open loops are due to you hauling throughout the rod stroke. The timing of the haul should be quick right at or just before the rod stop. Then bring the hands together during the rod drift phase.

"Hauling at the stop will give you a tight loop. Hauling throughout the stroke will give you an open loop."

Single and Double Haul
mridenour likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Two big thumbs up on that call. If anything will rip a loop open that will.

Shoot... I replied (above) without reading through the entire thread.
You might want to practice your hauls with the rod swung parallel to the ground. Do a front or back cast with a haul and then stop, let the line fall to the ground and think about what you did and what you are trying to accomplish. Things come at you mighty quick when you're overhead casting.
Try not to start the haul until your rod has swung past 90 degrees from where your facing. with practice you should be able to delay the haul until the stroke is almost complete.
Get that down pat then practice combining the front and back stroke as well as the needed line feed after the stop in each direction and when you get it nice and rhythmic bring the false casting up to a near overhead position and you are good-to-go.
If you start getting sloppy start all over again to get your timing and form back and go at it again.
You will find that hauling is easier if you have quite a bit of line out. That gives you the mass to help you feed line back providing you have enough line speed to pull the line, you make positive stops and clean line that slips easily through the guides. Overlining a line weight or two can help too.

Last edited by Jackster; 09-10-2013 at 04:02 PM.