The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Knowing when a line is too light?

How can I know , really be sure, a given line is too light for a particular rod?

I know that lines and rods both have weight numbers but in my experience these are just very loose guides.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Knowing when a line is too light?

The way I see it, and that doesn't always mean much, you have a few options

1. If you have the entire head of the line out of the rod and can't seem to load the rod still, then your line might be too light. (this assumes your casting is in good form and you aren't intentionally underlining to carry more line in the air)

2. common cents test on the rod and weighing the head of the line

3. Borrowing a higher wt line and casting with that. If that line feels better, your original line might be too light
mcnerney, jpbfly and yonder like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

ditto on brookfieldangler
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
The way I see it, and that doesn't always mean much, you have a few options

1. If you have the entire head of the line out of the rod and can't seem to load the rod still, then your line might be too light. (this assumes your casting is in good form and you aren't intentionally underlining to carry more line in the air)

2. common cents test on the rod and weighing the head of the line

3. Borrowing a higher wt line and casting with that. If that line feels better, your original line might be too light

I am experiencing #1 , problem is I am not that great a caster to begin with.

It is a 7 wt rod, and 7 wt line, but I feel very "uncoordinated " with this combo, I guess I could throw my reel with 9 wt line on it and see what happens?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

That might help a little bit at best but working on your cast might help better. The heavier line will help with short casts but won't do much when you want to start casting farther. It's like trying to tighten a bolt with a monkey wrench instead of a box wrench

I'm sure there is a local shop or member that could give you a few pointers
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
That might help a little bit at best but working on your cast might help better. The heavier line will help with short casts but won't do much when you want to start casting farther. It's like trying to tighten a bolt with a monkey wrench instead of a box wrench

I'm sure there is a local shop or member that could give you a few pointers
I am largely self taught. Time is my problem. When I get some free time I will schedule a lesson, or find time to work on this.

I started in the salt, surf fishing for striped bass, blues, albies, fluke.....

So I started with a ten weight, bought a few 8 weights after that and a nine weight.

This summer and last I have tried to become a freshwater fly fisherman, last summer with a 9 ft 5 wt in small rivers and the Deleware, the problem was I had/ still have very little clue how to catch trout and trout disapear in the summer. The movement of water in a river/stream hid some of my faults as far as where my line was going.

So this summer I picked up a 7 wt , nd targeted smallmouth which I can catch on spinning gear , but the 7 wt and the line were giving me fits. Fishing in ponds/lakes is similar to the salt in that the cast has to get out there where you want it, even more so than the salt as pond/lake water doesnt really move.

I am so used to throwing the heavier salt gear that I am not certain id it is my muscle memory or the line?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Well what exactly happening in your cast? Is it an accuracy thing? Not being able to get distance? Is line in a big pile?

Also what rod and line do you have?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM

The rod is an older loomis im6 7 wt 8' 2 piece, the line is sage equator 7wt.

The line is crumbling, also i feel like i can not get the line going fast enough.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Is it the G Loomis Signature series IM6 by chance? If so, that MIGHT be part of your problem if your heavier rods are all fast rods like a lot of those upper weight classes tend to be.

The Sig series was not a fast rod and you may be having a hard time finding your timing with a slower rod.

Aside from that, take that rod to a fly shop and try a few different lines. If you can't find a line that makes it happy, it may be you or the stick.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM

I need to try a few different lines, I thought I had slowed it down, but maybe I need to really slow my cast down

Thanks for the help