The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Joan Wulff Fly Casting Video by Winston

jsx -- absolutely. This thread is definitely really only of interest to the folks who really enjoy analyzing casting and enjoy the mechanics of it, etc.

Quote:
Lefty is ignoring the real issue. What is the easiest and best casting stoke to teach beginners? Most beginners will be casting while wading on rivers, or from a boat; and the low elbow sidearm style that sweeps that wider sideways path is not as useful as the elbow forward overhead style that places the cast above the caster.
This is a funny topic, because an elbow-forward caster would obviously find that style more useful to beginners since it is most useful to themselves. However, a side-elbow cast could be just as effective in the sense that it's very easy to watch your backcast with this style (without doing a weird lean-back, neck crane a la sexy loops). It also beats the wind extremely well vs. a direct overhead cast. Actually, in SW I can't see using the elbow-forward style (at least not the extreme kind) for SW fishing over the side-elbow style. I'm sure people do it -- but I can see some advantages to the side-elbow style in this situation.

I really only like one thing about the front-elbow style -- and that is the ability to really pull to a hard *stop* and get excellent line speed. Other than that, it's just weird to me.

BTW -- the Steve R. video posted earler where he's standing on a platform is odd because his forward cast looks a lot to me like he's "pushing" that elbow similar to......what I do on long distance casts with my side-elbow style .

I'm uploading a video of myself at a fairly short distance -- the phone is really slow, but it's coming. The style is very clear in the video . It looks a lot more ugly than I'd like, but that's how I cast!

The main disadvantage I see with my own side-elbow style is that it can be more easy to throw tailing loops if you don't smooth out your stroke well. There's no denying it -- the elbow-forward sytle is more immune to this. I've smoothed out mine, but occasionally with excitement I'll throw what I call *micro tailers out there (where a very small portion of leader tails just a tad, but not enough to contact itself and knot up). I don't lose much sleep over it.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

This one might be better.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Great topic guys. A few other casts and casters.

Rick Hartman:

rick hartman fly casting - Bing Videos

Another of Hartman at the FFF conclave a few years ago:

rick hartman fly casting - Bing Videos

Rajeff at the 2008 Best of the West:

best of the west fly casting - Bing Videos

best of the west fly casting - Bing Videos

Brian O Keefe:

Best of the west fly casting - Bing Videos

Josh Graffam:
Best of the west fly casting - Bing Videos
Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Very smoooth style, Turbine! Nice tight loops too. There a lot of advantages from a saltwater fishing point of view whether wading or casting from a skiff to casting off vertical.

One, of course, is that a high rod will spook fish up top or in shallow water. Another is that rotating the torso vigorously on long casts does not rock the boat the way rocking back and forth in an overhead motion does, sending out pressure waves that the guides talk about incessently. Rotating the torso and shoulders does not interfere with tracking the way it does with overhead casting either, and it adds a lot of power with very little strain on the body as we get older. And keeping the line low avoids much of the incessant wind on the ocean.

Vertical casting also has advantages, principally accuracy and specialty casts, but for the salt where slack line casts are not an issue, where a high rod and high flashing line can be a major fish spookers, and where wind is an issue more often than not, I think it is almost an essential style to get comfortable with for someone wanting to do some serious sight fishing.

And you look pretty doggone comfortable. Thanks for posting the video. It does not look "bad" at all but the exact opposite.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Turbineblade...

I finally got a chance to look at all the videos. I posted the videos so you could see some different styles. All of the videos with the exception of Steve Rajeff are trying to find a way to lengthen their stroke. I noticed on your back cast that your stroke stays the same length no matter what the distance. The stroke length needs to change with your distance.

Like others have said, try casting different styles. You will always have a style that will be yours, but knowing and being able to cast different styles will make you a better caster.

Nice job and enjoy the world of getting better at casting. It is good to see someone have the passion and the desire to get better.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Looking at the Joan Wulff roll cast video:

I don't have audio, but the roll cast she makes at 0:35 in the video doesn't look very good to me. She has driven the line into a pile down into the water is what it looks like to me. I wouldn't want to roll cast that way.

Good luck performing a roll cast pick-up with that stroke!

Is this an inherent disadvantage of the front-elbow cast?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

The rollcast at 1:25 in this video looks 100X better --

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
Turbineblade...

I finally got a chance to look at all the videos. I posted the videos so you could see some different styles. All of the videos with the exception of Steve Rajeff are trying to find a way to lengthen their stroke. I noticed on your back cast that your stroke stays the same length no matter what the distance. The stroke length needs to change with your distance.

Like others have said, try casting different styles. You will always have a style that will be yours, but knowing and being able to cast different styles will make you a better caster.

Nice job and enjoy the world of getting better at casting. It is good to see someone have the passion and the desire to get better.

Sure thing -- I was false casting the same length of line, so no adjustment to stroke length was needed. I understand what you're saying and will be sure to do this when I keep extending my distance out there .
repperson29 likes this.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:49 PM

decker1313 is on a distinguished road

these are great. Thanks!