The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joan Wulff Fly Casting Video by Winston

Winston is going to put up 10 Joan Wulff Fly Casting Instructional Videos for online viewing. The first 5 are available now.

R.L. Winston Rod Co. | Joan Wulff Instructional Videos

Note how the basic casting stroke is identical to the foundation casting stroke of Gary and Jason Borger. In the second video that describes the basic grip and stroke, Joan describes the identical stroke path that goes up towards the level of the forehead.

This is what Al Kyte calls the elbow forward style of Jimmy Green, Mel Krieger, Steve and Tim Rajeff, Joan Wulff, Jerry Siem, and Gary Borger. It is a simple stroke that is ideal for teaching beginners.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...l%20Styles.pdf
riderfisher, mridenour and ts47 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 11-06-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 AM

jfaisten is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Joan Wulff Fly Casting Video by Winston

those videos are great -- thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Just noticed this... Thanks Silver!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Yes, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Nice, thanks for posting the link.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Watched the videos on the Winston site and like the way Joan shows the basics. I enjoyed it so much, I called the Joan Wulff School and ordered the DVD. Very reasonable and an excellent teaching video for my grandsons and a reminder to myself.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Winston is going to put up 10 Joan Wulff Fly Casting Instructional Videos for online viewing. The first 5 are available now.

R.L. Winston Rod Co. | Joan Wulff Instructional Videos

Note how the basic casting stroke is identical to the foundation casting stroke of Gary and Jason Borger. In the second video that describes the basic grip and stroke, Joan describes the identical stroke path that goes up towards the level of the forehead.

This is what Al Kyte calls the elbow forward style of Jimmy Green, Mel Krieger, Steve and Tim Rajeff, Joan Wulff, Jerry Siem, and Gary Borger. It is a simple stroke that is ideal for teaching beginners.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...l%20Styles.pdf
She is an excellent caster -- great videos. I absolutely cannot muster a decent cast with that elbow in front style -- it makes absolutely no sense to me and feels like the last way I'd ever try to cast a fly rod. Joan's is a very extreme elbow forward cast it looks like too. To me it's like trying to elbow yourself in the ribs while also attempting to swat flies biting your neck with a jump rope. I can force it for very short casts, but nothing more.

I do see that it can be helpful for beginners with the "phone pick up" explanation (hello? it's for you) where the back cast is essentially straight up-and-down and the forward cast is like handing the phone to someone.

I'm very, very happy with my own style but am very interested in how other people cast and the mechanics of it, etc. It's cool to me.

Lefty Kreh (who casts an obvious elbow to the side style) mentioned last year that in his trips to S.A. and experience with fly fishermen there that NO ONE casted with an elbow in front style unless they were taught to do so by a white man . He said they cast a fly rod like they'd throw a spear -- which no one would do with their elbow in front of their forehead.
timd likes this.

Last edited by turbineblade; 12-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:00 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
She is an excellent caster -- great videos. I absolutely cannot muster a decent cast with that elbow in front style -- it makes absolutely no sense to me and feels like the last way I'd ever try to cast a fly rod. Joan's is a very extreme elbow forward cast it looks like too. To me it's like trying to elbow yourself in the ribs while also attempting to swat flies biting your neck with a jump rope. I can force it for very short casts, but nothing more.

I do see that it can be helpful for beginners with the "phone pick up" explanation (hello? it's for you) where the back cast is essentially straight up-and-down and the forward cast is like handing the phone to someone.

I'm very, very happy with my own style but am very interested in how other people cast and the mechanics of it, etc. It's cool to me.

Lefty Kreh (who casts an obvious elbow to the side style) mentioned last year that in his trips to S.A. and experience with fly fishermen there that NO ONE casted with an elbow in front style unless they were taught to do so by a white man . He said they cast a fly rod like they'd throw a spear -- which no one would do with their elbow in front of their forehead.
Interesting comment. It will be interesting to see if anyone more experienced than I will comment?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Man, she has it down; teaching this stuff is so instinctive to her that she makes every word count and you feel like it must be the simplest and most beautiful thing to make a flycast. Awesome videos!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

That is a very strange thing for Lefty to say since natives don't throw a spear sidearm but overhand keeping the elbow forward with the forearm above the elbow and not to the side. Compare the elbow forward illustration below with the video that follows,

Click the image to open in full size.

Steve Rajeff, one of if not the best caster in the world uses the elbow forward style. He was taught the elbow forward style by Mel Krieger at the Golden Gate Casting Club in San Francisco. Steve is mentioned in Joan Wulff's book HERE

You can see to an interview with Steve Rajeff here in Quicktime:

Steve Rajeff Video Interview with Fly Fish Ohio

Here are a couple of videos showing him using the elbow forward style in instruction and in competition. You can even imagine him throwing a spear instead of casting in the second video.

There is also more than just casting. Some styles are more prone to stress injuries. The low elbow style of fly casting is one of these. Contrary to what Lefty Kreh preaches, it causes more Repetitive Stress Injuries (RSI) more than the overhead elbow forward style that I think is better for beginners to learn.

"A team of researchers is studying the biomechanics of fly-casting at Montana State University, Bozeman (MSU)."

"Vary casting styles and favor the overhead style which is associated with less overall pain than the elliptical or sidearm styles."

http://www.working-well.org/articles/pdf/Fishing.pdf

Jason Borger of the Fly Casting Institute also teaches the elbow forward overhead style to minimize RSIs. The Elbow forward casting stroke is biomechanically sound, leading to the fewest joint and muscular injuries.

The elbow forward style is also more accurate since it unrolls the cast directly over the target in a downward direction. The low elbow style unfurls the line sideways across the target.

When fishing streams and especially narrow streams the elbow forward style places the cast in the air above the caster rather than to the side of the caster and therefore can be used in narrower water. The caster and the cast occupy a thin vertical casting space that rather than a short wide casting space as with the low elbow style.

An accomplished caster should be able to cast using all styles. In the open ocean where there it can be windy, a low elbow style can be used and can be the best cast to use. That is not the issue.

Lefty is ignoring the real issue. What is the easiest and best casting stoke to teach beginners? Most beginners will be casting while wading on rivers, or from a boat; and the low elbow sidearm style that sweeps that wider sideways path is not as useful as the elbow forward overhead style that places the cast above the caster.
troutnut4 and ts47 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy