The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM

greg_h is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Indoor practice

From October to April, I cast with a club in a school gym. Accuracy is the main focus.
We use the standard ACA size targets that are about this size of a hoola hoop.
You can also purchase small orange cones (like for kids soccer, etc.) to use as targets or to represent rocks for practicing your curve casts. I like the frizbee idea a lot too, they would be easy to move around.
In the Dry Fly game you have all the false casts you want before the lay-down. In the Wet Fly game you have only one false cast before the lay-down (except on the first target).
On different nights we require casters to hit the targets in a different order - this improves line handling.
We also teach newbies and help more experienced casters with the double haul and reach casts, etc..

Use a piece of yarn for your fly.

Gyms floors are dusty and WILL DESTROY your line. You wil need to clean it after every use, but that still won't save it. As mentioned above, buy a cheap line for the purpose, or use an old one that you will never use for fishing again.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

I learned to cast in the Cook Pavillion at the University of Nebraska. Plenty of space there. The turf didn't seem to be too hard on the line.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I wouldn't worry about the line so much- condiotuion it well and keep it clean and you should be good.

One thing that would probably help a lot is to scatter some frisbees or the like around at various distances. Cast at on until you can drop the little tuft of yarn (fake fly) onto the frisbee, then turn a little bit and cast at the next frisbee. When the frisbees get to be easy target drop down to something smaller. It pretty much covers everything, accuracy, distance and ranging.
While reading, this is what I was going to suggest. You could also use hoops from an old yard game called lawn darts (find at yard sales) or hoops from a craft store. I don't think the floor will hurt it at all
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I just spent a few Saturday afternoons practicing my casting and rented an indoor soccer field in our local field house. It was perfect, lots of room, and the artificial turf was fine to cast on (although the line picked up a lot of lint, for some reason). I could stand in the centre of the field and aim casts at the key in front of the goal or goal crease or various other dots and circles on the field.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to try is to cast from a kneeling position, or even a sitting position to simulate the shortened distance between your rod hand and the water or vegetation, in other words it'll teach you to keep your backcast up.
garybrower and lv2nymph like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Something to else to practice is casting across chest and down to horizontal. Once you have that try and teach yourself to cast with your off hand. I have found having these skills to be invaluable on stream through the years, casting with your off hand is going to make you feel like you've never cast a fly rod before. It's the same principles as you've already learned, and you'd be surprised how doing this will take the edges off of your good casting arm because this will take you back to the beginning basics making you think about things in your stroke you haven't thought about for a long time.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...w=1536&bih=860 That would be a perfect use for this.