The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Indoor practice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/336981-indoor-practice.html)

garybrower 11-12-2013 05:52 PM

Indoor practice

I have access to a university's "Field House" as part of my gym membership. It is open for use a lot of the day, and is a large (i.e., BIG) room, hardwood floor, and with few obstructions (once you get away from the basketball hoops). It would seem to me to be a good place to practice casting . . . especially as the weather in Colorado turns colder.

My questions then are, "What would be the best ways of utilizing such a space?" Just general practice? Accuracy? Distance? Shorter or longer line length? Different "weights" of flies? Fake double-fly rigs (i.e., no hooks)? All of the above?

Thanks!

Gary

brookfieldangler 11-12-2013 06:24 PM

Re: Indoor practice

All of the above...just not roll casting.

duker 11-12-2013 07:43 PM

I too want to find a large-ish indoor space this winter to practice my casting for a saltwater fishing trip later this winter (need to get my double-haul down). One of my worries is casting a brand new tropical line onto what is sure to be a dirty and dusty gym floor. Will that do any damage to the line, or can I just rinse it off well after each practice session? Or should I buy a cheaper line just for that kind of practice?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

jimp 11-12-2013 07:47 PM

Curious as to why "no no" on the roll cast???

itchmesir 11-12-2013 07:49 PM

Gym floor will be too slick... Roll casts rely on the tension or drag created from the waters surface... Best practiced on grass or carpet

ia_trouter 11-12-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duker (Post 610097)
I too want to find a large-ish indoor space this winter to practice my casting for a saltwater fishing trip later this winter (need to get my double-haul down). One of my worries is casting a brand new tropical line onto what is sure to be a dirty and dusty gym floor. Will that do any damage to the line, or can I just rinse it off well after each practice session? Or should I buy a cheaper line just for that kind of practice?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

If you use good line I wonder if treating it with line cleaner conditioner befoe and after might be a good idea? If you are just talking dust I would think that sufficient. Most gyms are cleaned with a dust mop. I bet the custodian would let you make a pass with his mop. I have the same concern as I'm going to use a howitzer repair garage bay, but I run manufactures seconds lines so I afford to take the risk in the name of winter practice.

runningfish 11-12-2013 09:12 PM

I think you should try every cast and every rig that you can imagine.

When I started, I practiced in my company's warehouse and it helped me a lot.

I don't know if you have a pillar, a column or a vertical obstruction there, but I used to stand about 20ft away in front of one and practiced my cast.
The purpose is to know if your backcast is straight or not. A curving backcast will hit that pillar/column. My warehouse also filled with crates, I used them to know if dropped my backcast or not to practice my timing.

Another thing, use your old line and use heavier and more wind resistant practice fly. This is to compensate the perfect no windy condition.

Good luck young Jedi.

fq13 11-12-2013 11:39 PM

If you are worried about dirtying the line, and I wouldn't be as I tend to beat my lines up on mangroves and oyster bars and view them as disposable items, just go to Cabelas. In their bargin cave they have house brand lines for twenty bucks. It would seem to be good enough for practice. I bought one for my three weight on the theory that there was no sense in spending seventy bucks on a line I'd rarely cast much more than thirty feet. I'll save the big bucks for the ones I intend to ask a lot from.

garybrower 11-13-2013 10:49 AM

All,

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I figured that the floor would be too slick for roll casts (and I have the least problem with them anyway;))

Now, I just wonder what kinds of looks I'll get from the other gym-users!

Gary

brookfieldangler 11-13-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybrower (Post 610277)
Now, I just wonder what kinds of looks I'll get from the other gym-users!

That depends if a back cast hits them in the face or not :biggrin: