The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road
Default Indoor practice

I have access to a university's "Field House" as part of my gym membership. It is open for use a lot of the day, and is a large (i.e., BIG) room, hardwood floor, and with few obstructions (once you get away from the basketball hoops). It would seem to me to be a good place to practice casting . . . especially as the weather in Colorado turns colder.

My questions then are, "What would be the best ways of utilizing such a space?" Just general practice? Accuracy? Distance? Shorter or longer line length? Different "weights" of flies? Fake double-fly rigs (i.e., no hooks)? All of the above?

Thanks!

Gary
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Indoor practice

All of the above...just not roll casting.
rusty 54 likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I too want to find a large-ish indoor space this winter to practice my casting for a saltwater fishing trip later this winter (need to get my double-haul down). One of my worries is casting a brand new tropical line onto what is sure to be a dirty and dusty gym floor. Will that do any damage to the line, or can I just rinse it off well after each practice session? Or should I buy a cheaper line just for that kind of practice?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Curious as to why "no no" on the roll cast???
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Gym floor will be too slick... Roll casts rely on the tension or drag created from the waters surface... Best practiced on grass or carpet
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
I too want to find a large-ish indoor space this winter to practice my casting for a saltwater fishing trip later this winter (need to get my double-haul down). One of my worries is casting a brand new tropical line onto what is sure to be a dirty and dusty gym floor. Will that do any damage to the line, or can I just rinse it off well after each practice session? Or should I buy a cheaper line just for that kind of practice?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
If you use good line I wonder if treating it with line cleaner conditioner befoe and after might be a good idea? If you are just talking dust I would think that sufficient. Most gyms are cleaned with a dust mop. I bet the custodian would let you make a pass with his mop. I have the same concern as I'm going to use a howitzer repair garage bay, but I run manufactures seconds lines so I afford to take the risk in the name of winter practice.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I think you should try every cast and every rig that you can imagine.

When I started, I practiced in my company's warehouse and it helped me a lot.

I don't know if you have a pillar, a column or a vertical obstruction there, but I used to stand about 20ft away in front of one and practiced my cast.
The purpose is to know if your backcast is straight or not. A curving backcast will hit that pillar/column. My warehouse also filled with crates, I used them to know if dropped my backcast or not to practice my timing.

Another thing, use your old line and use heavier and more wind resistant practice fly. This is to compensate the perfect no windy condition.

Good luck young Jedi.
von behr likes this.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

If you are worried about dirtying the line, and I wouldn't be as I tend to beat my lines up on mangroves and oyster bars and view them as disposable items, just go to Cabelas. In their bargin cave they have house brand lines for twenty bucks. It would seem to be good enough for practice. I bought one for my three weight on the theory that there was no sense in spending seventy bucks on a line I'd rarely cast much more than thirty feet. I'll save the big bucks for the ones I intend to ask a lot from.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:49 AM

garybrower is on a distinguished road

All,

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I figured that the floor would be too slick for roll casts (and I have the least problem with them anyway)

Now, I just wonder what kinds of looks I'll get from the other gym-users!

Gary
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybrower View Post
Now, I just wonder what kinds of looks I'll get from the other gym-users!
That depends if a back cast hits them in the face or not