The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about
Default Line question

I had a few min this afternoon and did a little casting practice, I started with my older 8' 6wt, and it was a disaster, couldn't get anything to work and it felt like I had to "pound" the rod to get anything out of it.

Decided to try the rod I just built, 8' 4wt, and I can make it do anything I want, doesn't feel like work, I can even double haul and use up my entire casting area, 20-30 yards easy.

I'm beginning to think the older rod is not really a 6 wt, and I think it's why I have had such a hard time trying to learn with it.

Is there any sort of test or measurement I can do to check this?

I don't know anyone local, so I'm pretty much on my own.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Line question

What is your old 6 WT? Brand, model and such.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Try this; The Common Cents System

After you browse the site and understand the instructions here is some material Copied from another source...........

[Copy]
1. Trap your rod by the handle parallel to the floor with the tip of the rod more than 1/3 the rod's length, higher than the floor. For example, you need to have the rod parallel to the floor and more than 3' off the floor for a 9' rod. I'd give it a foot to spare.

2. Take a small paper clip and unbend one end so it makes an 'S' shape. Find a small plastic bag.

3. Hang the plastic bag from the rod tip using the 'S' shaped clip, and then measure the distance from the tip to the floor and be precise.

4. Put pennies that are shiney and newer than 1996 into the bag till you have bent the rod tip to 1/3 the length of the rod from the measurement you got in step 3.

5. So for an easy example, lets say in step 3 you had a 9' rod and got a measurement of exactly 4.0 feet from the tip of the rod to the floor. Then in step 4 you got enough pennies in the bag to get a measurement of precisely 1.0 feet from the rod tip to the floor. Take the pennies and count them. For this example lets say you are testing an Orvis 'Zero Gravity Midflex' 5 wt., 9' rod. The number of pennies you count will be 53. This gives you an ERN, or actual rod weight of 6.5.

I would avoid the new nonstandard pennies, as I am not sure they are using the same slug to stamp them as the old style pennies. If they do any penny newer than 1996 is good as long as it is still shiney. This works because there is a known weight for these pennies.
[End Copy]
just4grins likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM

The old rod is a "sportfisher cfl580"

Basically a 30+ year old Kmart special I bought with my lawn cutting money when I was about 14. I have been trying to learn to fly fish for awhile.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the info.

If I understand the charts, it took 68 pennies to deflect the rod 1/3 or 32" for an 8' rod, I get a "ERN" that's off the chart or someplace close to a 9wt? Also it would be a really slow rod based on the diagram that shows the "bend curve", it flexes all the way to the handle.

If anyone that understands this better than I do could double check, I would be very greatful.

With that information, would the fact I have to fight it so hard be caused by having it under weighted so badly?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yes,

Wow,

I have some deep flexing rods and I like fishing them. Most are small for small streams. I once had a 9' Lami that would go clear into the cork. It was a 7 weight and could be tiring to fish with all day. If you have a #9 rod with that action you may wish to upgrade to more of a mid action stick. The slow rods cast nice but when you start reaching past their sweet range they can be hard to control. Casts collapsing and poor accuracy are 2 things I remember, it's been a long time ago.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Thank you

Upgrading in the near future is not really an option, due to other life issues, I have to "run what I brung", don't want to leave the wife with a bunch of stuff to sell or pass on.

I will probably get my last season in the spring if all goes well.

Thank you again for all the help
Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Thank you

Upgrading in the near future is not really an option, due to other life issues, I have to "run what I brung", don't want to leave the wife with a bunch of stuff to sell or pass on.

I will probably get my last season in the spring if all goes well.

Thank you again for all the help
That was a sobering post CT and we won't pry, but it sounds like the custom built 4WT works for you and may be the better rig to prep for spring. A 4 WT is a forum favorite for chasing a number of species.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks, no worries, enjoy every day and don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm happy to have what I have, and can still do a few things I have always wanted to do.

I put one of those "Cutthroat" leaders on today and now I don't get little piles of curled up leader at the end of my casts, so much to learn.

Thanks to all for the help
Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 PM

So anyone near NW CT have an 8/9 wt rod that I can borrow the reel for a few casts to verify my theory about this rod, before I go out and buy more line that is not correct?

I'll come to you and bring doughnuts.