The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 2 Post By silver creek
  • 4 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 AM

srestrepo is on a distinguished road
Default my first cast

Hello all. I want to start by expressing my gratitude for all of the information I've learned from you all. When I'm in a position to contribute, I'll certainly return the favor. In any case, this is literally my first cast. Im not even quite sure if it's considered a double haul or not but I I have no one to teach me what im doing right or wrong.

Im basically mimicking motions I've seen on youtube. If anyone wants to comment constructively or offer advice, its highly appreciated.

For anyone wondering, this is a 4 pc 9ft 6 weight reddington crosswater combo. I'm in the Westfield river just outaide of Westfield, MA.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my first cast

I can't watch your video...(private video)
Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Ditto -- can't see it.

Kuddos for posting a video of yourself casting for pointers though! That takes a lot of guts that I'd guess MOST people don't have. You'll probably get better much more quickly than a lot of people as a result.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, it says "Private Video".

Welcome to the forum!

Larry

Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. I also can't see the video due to privacy issues, but your last sentence sums it up well enough to draw some conclusions that it probably wasn't the prettiest of things to watch.

That is OK though, in time, it will become something to see.

In order to get there the fastest, K.I.S.S. Don't worry about a double haul, single haul, or any other haul at this point in the game. You are trying to win a race but you haven't even learned how to walk yet. Worry about the very basic cast and timing at this point. Start with with a goal of 20' of line....then 30'..then 40....then 50. I am guessing by the 30 mark, you will start to ask questions about the line ending up in a big pile, wondering what that cracking sound is on your back cast, or why your arm muscles are hurting. Let's get those issues worked out before we start worrying about hauling.

In a few months time, you will shocked at how much easier casting becomes and how much easier, and effective, things like hauling becomes.

Last edited by brookfieldangler; 11-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
Hello all. I want to start by expressing my gratitude for all of the information I've learned from you all. When I'm in a position to contribute, I'll certainly return the favor. In any case, this is literally my first cast. Im not even quite sure if it's considered a double haul or not but I I have no one to teach me what im doing right or wrong.

Im basically mimicking motions I've seen on youtube. If anyone wants to comment constructively or offer advice, its highly appreciated.

For anyone wondering, this is a 4 pc 9ft 6 weight reddington crosswater combo. I'm in the Westfield river just outaide of Westfield, MA.

YouTube

I also can't see the video but I can see the a single frame above. From that it looks like you are keeping your hands together as you cast. That is a mistake. I suspect that when you take the rod back for the backcast, you are moving your left hand with the right.

Because you have moved your left line hand toward the fly rod, the line between your left line hand the first stripping guide on the fly rod is slack and there is a bit of slack between the next two guides. There should not be any slack fly line between the line hand and the first guide unless you are shooting fly line.

Change the video so we can see it and more help will be forthcoming.
mcnerney and srestrepo like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM

srestrepo is on a distinguished road

sorry this link should now work. I was trying to do this from my cell phone and hadn't realized that I uploaded it as a private video.

let me know if anything helps and thanks for the tip with the separation of hands.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Got it now --

All I would advise is to slow down your stroke -- think smooth and silky, and your loops will smooth out a bit and you use a lot less effort. Try to make your backcast look just like a mirror image of your forward cast.

Also -- you are using a lot of wrist, which is common with new casters. However! Some excellent casters use a fairly wristy cast....so it's not always a problem, but many times it can hinder a beginner. You might experiment with using more forewarm and less wrist (i.e. keep the wrist fairly stable) and see if it works for you.

Just practice with very little fly line out until you can get very good loops back and forth with little effort. You'll do great and you're off to a good start

One more minor note -- your stroke speed appears fairly "uniform". You want to strive for a very slow start and then a fairly abrupt acceleration to a hard stop -- like "flicking paint off of a paint brush" back and forth. Hopefully that makes sense. It's really the hard STOPS that fling the fly line out so nicely . Gentle, slow acceleration to a firm STOP. You can even do this on the grass and let the fly line drop to hte ground behind you, and then in front of you -- over and over.

Check this out to see what I mean --

Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here are 3 screenshots during your 3 casts. They are at approximately 4, 5 and 7 seconds, all near the end of the forward cast. Unfortunately you have do not good views of the rod position or the fly line on the backcast.

For beginners, most of the casting problems are on the backcast, so it would have been better to place the camera further away to see the entire cast. The arrows point out casting faults that I will explain later.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was correct in that you keep your hands together. See the arrow in the first screen shot. That will be a problem when you begin to shoot line. It will tend to wrap around your rod handle or reel. Unless you are double hauling that that motion brings the line hand next to the rod, you need to keep some spacing.

Secondly, there is no need to reach forward at the end of the cast. You do that in an unconscious effort to gain more distance but really, how important can that extra 6 inches be? Stay centered over your center of gravity. If you want to rock, put your right foot back a little more when you rock forward, you are in balance.

Notice in all three photos, there are waves in the fly line and leader. See arrows in photos 2 and 3.

There are multiple things that can cause this. One is starting the backcast either too early or too late. A forward cast should start just before or has as the backcast straightens. Start too early or late and you get waves meaning the fly line was not straight back when you started forward. So you need to work on the timing between casts.

There is a variable delay between casts, a longer pause between casts for longer casts. With the right foot back at about 45 degrees, you can turn your head to look at your backcast. Notice in the video that you do not look at your backcast at all. It is all right to look at your backcast when you are learning, in fact, it will improve your casting.

The second thing that can cause waves in the fly line is the unequal application of power. You are NOT accelerating smoothly and I am pretty sure you are shocking the rod and accelerating much too fast much too early. You need to start slower and end faster. The most rapid acceleration is just before the stop.

I notice that your rod stop occurs when your arms are extended. Stop with the rod higher at about 10:30 on the delivery and then lower the rod to follow the line down. Notice the wide loop? this is partially caused by the lower stop.

I cannot see the complete backcast in any views. In your first backcast, you seem to stop the rod in about the correct position but on casts 2 and 3, you are breaking your wrist and the rod is flopping back too low. See the open angle formed by the rod butt and your forearm(arrow). That angle should be closed, and the fly rod should be in line with your forearm at the stop. The cure for this is to not break the wrist.

This can be corrected by turning your head to look at the rod position and the track of the fly line on your back cast.

If you cannot help but flop the rod back, I recommend that you change your rod grip to the three point grip.

I wrote an article about the 3 point grip for Wisconsin Trout. See pg. 23 below:

http://www.wisconsintu.org/LinkClick...bid=58&mid=381

It is explained in depth on these two blogs:

Gary Borger Blog Archive Three Point Grip Part I

Gary Borger Blog Archive Three Point Grip Part II

So here are my recommendations. Put your right foot back at about 45 degrees so you can turn and watch the backcast. Work on proper timing and proper acceleration. Smooth out the casting motion.

Keep your hands motions independent. They should not move together, but I cannot tell you exactly how to hold them at each phase of the cast without being there with you.

Stop higher on your back cast and forward cast. Do not reach both hands or even you casting hand forward at the end of the cast. Stop higher on the delivery and follow the fly line down after the stop. Do not break your wrist on the backcast.

Here are 2 earlier discussions on casting and fly rods that may be helpful. I suggest you read them and see what works for you. There are a series of videos by Mel Krieger that should help you.

Casting style - action preference...

Over or under lining a rod, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy