The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 01:55 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery Reel & Line

Good afternoon!

I bought a reel with line at a garage sale a while back, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have in hand!

The reel is a Cortland Mosquito S. Is there a way I can tell what line weights it's suited for? I bought it for use with a 7-weight rod (I also bought at a different garage sale).

Also, it came with backing, a line and leader. All I know of the line is that there was a hand-written label on the reel case that said "Jim Teeny". So I don't know what weight line, whether it's floating, sink tip, or what. Any way I can learn that?

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mystery Reel & Line

Gary,I searched the web....found a Cortland Mosquito M(about 3.5" in diameter)
..... yours is a S so it may be small (for a 3 or 4 wt line) measure the spool to check if I'm right
Old 11-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Teeny lines were the first(?) integrated lines, at least that I remember.
A 28' sink tip.

Just a guess.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also look at the drag on the reel even if a 7 wt line would fit. It has a click pawl drag which is inadequate for a 7 wt reel. You will need to learn how to palm the spool to provide drag. Note the "rim control" on the box.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

The Cortland Mosquito S was designed for WF 4-6 weight line and holds about 100 yards 20# backing. The reel has a non adjustable click & pawl drag and the spool has rim control. It would be best suited for trout and panfish.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Thanks, all! It is an "S", about 3-1/4" in diameter. So I guess I'll have to keep looking for a 7wt reel!

Would this "S" -- apparently designed for a 4-5 -- work for a 3wt line?

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

I expect your reel will work fine on a smaller rod. The other consideration after how much line it will hold is how will it balance the rod. I like a reel that balances the rod perfectly horizontally with 30' of line out when I hold the grip in the typical manner. Thus your S reel will be too light for the 7wt rod. Try this on your 3wt and see.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:40 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=garybrower;615635]Thanks, all! It is an "S", about 3-1/4" in diameter. So I guess I'll have to keep looking for a 7wt reel!

Would this "S" -- apparently designed for a 4-5 -- work for a 3wt line?

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

How much do you want to spend? There some good ones out there now with sales and closeouts for well under a hundred bucks. Heck if you're fishing fresh water you could do worse than Cabelas Wind River for twenty or the prestige premire for fifty or Redington's pursuit for about the same money. For a very few bucks more you're into Okuma Integritys and a number of others. Budget fifty to a hundred bucks and you'd be surprised at how nice a reel you can find.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great reels out there. Personally I'd email the folks at Allen fly fishing and talk to them about their reels. Have one on my 6wt and love it. Great company to work with.

If you use the other reel for a 3wt remember you'll want to add more backing.
Hardyreels and caseywise like this.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks, again, all! Great suggestions.