The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How far "should" I cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Interesting discussion and lots of good response thus far as I'd have expected. My thoughts on this are much like many of the previous responders. Cast to where the fish are within reasonable accuracy and then it's all about presentation. Where and how we're fishing will mandate how far exactly that is. What I mean by this is some of the small spring creeks I fish I don't need to cast much more than 10 feet to catch fish on nymphs. On bigger water, that may or mat not cut it, but more than likely I'd need to get more line out there to get my dry fly or streamer out where it needs to be. So I'm of the opinion that the mechanics of casting depends on the technique being used to try and seduce the fish into taking your fly. I guess I don't get hung up on how far I can cast as much as am I employing the right techniques at the location I'm fishing given the type of fishing I'm doing. Much like mridenour, I too have found that trees, branches and grass are much closer than where I've thought they were. Even when I look over the area to find my casting lanes, I somehow find an obstacle that likes my fly better than a fish. Don't get me wrong, I have been frustrated at times trying to get line out, which lead me to casting lessons.

I am far from being a great caster but I've significantly improved the past couple of seasons largely in part due to taking lessons and practicing. Learning the mechanics and having a casting instructor watch me and provide feedback as to what's right and wrong has helped immensely. Have you taken casting lessons? If not, I'd highly recommend it. There's good reason why PGA Tour pros have swing coaches, casting lessons aren't much different.
Thanks Jaybo. Very well said.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the responses! This has been a very interesting thread with a lot of very good information. I get the line control comments and have some skill with it already.

I've been reading one of Lefty Kreh's books and have downloaded the Sexyloops app onto my Ipad. The beauty of the Sexyloops app is it can travel with me. Between the trees and swing set in my yard, I've had to take my practice casting to a field behind a nearby school. Hopefully with a little work and guidance from these resources and others, I'll be able to improve my casting skills. I'm currently working on improving my stroke in general, accuracy, shooting line, the roll cast, tuck cast and of course my mending and line control on the water. These are the things I seem to use most often. I also want to learn the double haul and how to cast farther when the situation calls for it.

Aside from taking actual lessons, does anyone have a learning resource you think I should look into, aside from those already mentioned?

Todd
fredaevans likes this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post

I have one tip for ya'...never ever expect a single definitive answer to a question on this forum!
Now that! is a definitive answer.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

15-90' should be adequate

casey
mridenour and ts47 like this.

ARFE
Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Thanks Jaybo. Very well said.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the responses! This has been a very interesting thread with a lot of very good information. I get the line control comments and have some skill with it already.

I've been reading one of Lefty Kreh's books and have downloaded the Sexyloops app onto my Ipad. The beauty of the Sexyloops app is it can travel with me. Between the trees and swing set in my yard, I've had to take my practice casting to a field behind a nearby school. Hopefully with a little work and guidance from these resources and others, I'll be able to improve my casting skills. I'm currently working on improving my stroke in general, accuracy, shooting line, the roll cast, tuck cast and of course my mending and line control on the water. These are the things I seem to use most often. I also want to learn the double haul and how to cast farther when the situation calls for it.

Aside from taking actual lessons, does anyone have a learning resource you think I should look into, aside from those already mentioned?

Todd
Line control is difficult to deal with on a lawn...its to easy. So I do line control maneuvers to help get my body into the habit...I coil line as I bring it in to allow me to shoot it out as I cast when in moving water....pulling 60 of line upstream to cast again is a pain and will get you to make a mistake.

Any fishing situation you get comfortable with on land will not be the same when you get in water. The cast is about it.

When in ideal conditions...(on a lawn with no wind) work hard on your perfect casting stroke and timing. When more or less line is out the length and dynamics of the cast do change.

Break things down into segments and work each one with a goal in mind. Keep in mind the complexity will be 10 fold in the water.
ts47 likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM

hailfly has a spectacular aura abouthailfly has a spectacular aura about

Me and a co worker started fly fishing around June of this year. We spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to cast. Even had another co worker that had been fly fishing most of his life try to show us how.
Me and the wife ended up getting lessons from an Orvis guide and it helped my cast tremendously . He had my wife casting in 30 min. Well worth the time and money in my opinion. It at least gives you a good starting point. He doubled my distance in no time at all.
Hope that might help.
ts47 likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Todd, you should be able to cast as far as you are physically able to.

Quote:
Learning the mechanics and having a casting instructor watch me and provide feedback as to what's right and wrong has helped immensely.
That is the best second step. Your post here was the first step. It shows that you have an open mind, want to improve and want to know what are realistic goals.

In the meantime go here: read, watch the animations, and understand what the words mean. Then memorize and re-watch before every practice session. (I wonder how many times I've posted this link).

Virtual Fly Casting - Instruction - The 5 Essentials

Practicing without knowing what you are supposed to be doing would be kind of like trying to learn to fly a fighter jet by trial and error , juggling all the controls not knowing what each of them individually does.

The most common problem with most of the casters I see is a weak backcast. The exercise I've had the most luck with for this is a shot glass half-filled with water, cast back and up, against a door or wall 2' behind the caster's fully extended arm.

The resulting "shot pattern" should be compact and should hit with a loud "splatt". If it forms in a line down the door or wall, that backcast would have resulted in a huge loop or non-loop that lands in a pile behind the caster. If it doesn't "splatt", the "stop" was not abrupt enough or the stroke was not accelerating enough prior to it. "Late" rotation is a key here.

Pantomiming in front of a mirror without a rod is another great backcasting aid. Stand with your casting side facing the mirror. Extend your casting arm fully extended, imaginary rod pointing directly toward the popper laying in the water forty feet in front of you. Look into the miror and start pulling the rod toward you (still pointing at the popper) accelerating the speed and rotate quickly as your hand nears your face with as much acceleration as you can muster and come to the most abrupt stop possible just behind your ear right at the point that you cannot accelerate any faster.

Your hand will bounce forward 3-5 inches AFTER the stop if you are accelerating and coming to a "hard" stop. Then try it using less and less force and more relaxed. You are now using a 5 wt and casting not so far. But the starting position is the same - arm out straight rod pointed toward the Adams. Your hand and forearm should still bounce forward after the stop.

What are you sitting on your duff for? Go get in front of that mirror.!
mcnerney, mridenour, ts47 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by wjc; 12-11-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: clarity : red edit
Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the Virtual Fly Casting link. Lots of info on that site.

Study film.....

ts47 likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
I think for the shorter distances that these are good goals especially when you add the reach cast and the aerial mend both left and right with the same accuracy and the same distance. For dry fly trout fishing your catch rate will improve dramatically over just straight casts. Out to eighty feet it becomes a lot harder to do the mends with any accuracy, not impossible but hard. From the majority of responses you can see most people stress distance AND accuracy.
The thing that newbies do NOT realize with aerial mends is that there is often the need to adjust the length of the cast cast to hit the target. When you perform an aerial mend, the mend repositions the fly line that is casted and the fly will not land on the target unless you compensate for the mend.

Think about a simple left reach mend. It can be thought of as a triangle.

Click the image to open in full size.

The angler is at corner "C" and the target is at apex "A". So "b" is the length of the cast. When you perform a left reach mend to place the rod tip along the hypotenuse "c", the length of fly line and leader needed to land on the target will be different than a a cast along the original path "b".

The result then looks this:

Click the image to open in full size.

For most mends that are not straight line casts like a reach mend, there will be a need to shoot line into the cast because the slack line introduced into the cast by the mend requires that more line be used for the fly to land on the target.

I believe it is more important to practice mends with a target area just as it is to practice with targets for regular casting. Otherwise you will always be off when you mend and you won't know why.
ts47 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As usual some good helpful info for you however I now only ever try to Cast to Cover Rising Fish or where I think A fish Should Be/Could be or again where I've caught Fish before as you never know as The Saying goes "Fish are where you catch Them & if Your Fly is in The Water you are in with a Chance" .
Brian
ts47 likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
+1 on the Virtual Fly Casting link. Lots of info on that site.

Study film.....

Fly Casting Jedi - Slow motion 50 ft. fly casting technique of Chris Korich - YouTube
I have cast against this guy in competition. He is the real deal. Certainly one of the best in the world.
ts47 and calftail like this.