The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How far "should" I cast?

You guys can cast rings around me. I'm lucky if I can get a good solid 50' cast with a double haul on the streams I fish. I've taken and taped 90' and that's a long way, man. Fortunately for me, I don't have to cast that far or I'd be depressed. Generally, when you're casting far you're generating line speed based on solid technique and shooting line more than laying it down, which is what I'm generally doing. I'm not a very good line shooter.

Eh, another thing to work on and why I stick to single handed rods. Any time I have one in my hand I try and improve on various aspects of my cast to make me a more complete caster and fisheman.

Cheers,
Mike.
mridenour and ts47 like this.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:46 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

I confess- I didn't read every post in this thread.

My advice as a non expert caster and mediocre fly guy:

Don't worry a lick about distance. Control is what we're after. Accuracy. This is a sport of finesse, not power.

Practice.

Practice!

Practice!!

CAB
ts47 likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:26 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Virtual Fly Casting - Instruction - The 5 Essentials
Thank you for the link, the explanations of what happens when you do it wrong were a big help in understanding what I'm doing wrong.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Todd, you should be able to cast as far as you are physically able to.

That is the best second step. Your post here was the first step. It shows that you have an open mind, want to improve and want to know what are realistic goals.

In the meantime go here: read, watch the animations, and understand what the words mean. Then memorize and re-watch before every practice session. (I wonder how many times I've posted this link).

Virtual Fly Casting - Instruction - The 5 Essentials

Practicing without knowing what you are supposed to be doing would be kind of like trying to learn to fly a fighter jet by trial and error , juggling all the controls not knowing what each of them individually does.

The most common problem with most of the casters I see is a weak backcast. The exercise I've had the most luck with for this is a shot glass half-filled with water, cast back and up, against a door or wall 2' behind the caster's fully extended arm.

The resulting "shot pattern" should be compact and should hit with a loud "splatt". If it forms in a line down the door or wall, that backcast would have resulted in a huge loop or non-loop that lands in a pile behind the caster. If it doesn't "splatt", the "stop" was not abrupt enough or the stroke was not accelerating enough prior to it. "Late" rotation is a key here.

Pantomiming in front of a mirror without a rod is another great backcasting aid. Stand with your casting side facing the mirror. Extend your casting arm fully extended, imaginary rod pointing directly toward the popper laying in the water forty feet in front of you. Look into the miror and start pulling the rod toward you (still pointing at the popper) accelerating the speed and rotate quickly as your hand nears your face with as much acceleration as you can muster and come to the most abrupt stop possible just behind your ear right at the point that you cannot accelerate any faster.

Your hand will bounce forward 3-5 inches AFTER the stop if you are accelerating and coming to a "hard" stop. Then try it using less and less force and more relaxed. You are now using a 5 wt and casting not so far. But the starting position is the same - arm out straight rod pointed toward the Adams. Your hand and forearm should still bounce forward after the stop.

What are you sitting on your duff for? Go get in front of that mirror.!
Thanks Jim! This is good stuff. I have two other guys that I fish with that would likely benefit from this as well. Hopefully, this will save you from having to post it yet again.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

You guys are great. The info and links being shared here are a tremendous help! The best part is this thread will serve as a permanent record I can refer back to as I practice. I feel my casts getting longer and more accurate already - line control improving too!!

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hopefully, this will save you from having to post it yet again.
I don't mind re-posting the same stuff that I think can help over and over again. I've got the link bookmarked and it's no big deal. My comment was for the guys that have seen it numerous times, and may possibly assume that my mind is going. (Not too far-fetched either).

There are lots of ways to learn: reading, listening, watching, by feel, by sound, visualization, pantomiming. etc. I think when you can combine different methods like that link with the simple animations, it can help.

For me, feel is really important while actually casting, so I'm always aware of how much line tension I feel in my line hand. It lets me know how much I can shoot into the backcast as well as when to start the forward cast or when to cut it short. I also have done a lot of fishing in total darkness.

When helping people out with their casting, when they get a good backcast, in particular, I always yell out enthusiastically "you feel that?? that's how you do it!" Their reaction is a good way to help judge if "feel" is one of their methods of learning. And even if not, they may start to pay attention to it once they become aware of it. But I'm rambling.

Anyhow, good luck with the casting and the catching.
ts47 likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:28 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I don't mind re-posting the same stuff that I think can help over and over again. I've got the link bookmarked and it's no big deal. My comment was for the guys that have seen it numerous times, and may possibly assume that my mind is going. (Not too far-fetched either).

There are lots of ways to learn: reading, listening, watching, by feel, by sound, visualization, pantomiming. etc. I think when you can combine different methods like that link with the simple animations, it can help.

For me, feel is really important while actually casting, so I'm always aware of how much line tension I feel in my line hand. It lets me know how much I can shoot into the backcast as well as when to start the forward cast or when to cut it short. I also have done a lot of fishing in total darkness.

When helping people out with their casting, when they get a good backcast, in particular, I always yell out enthusiastically "you feel that?? that's how you do it!" Their reaction is a good way to help judge if "feel" is one of their methods of learning. And even if not, they may start to pay attention to it once they become aware of it. But I'm rambling.

Anyhow, good luck with the casting and the catching.
Thanks Jim!

--Irish Blessing