The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Just wanna say thanks

When you are looking back and see the line straighten, FEEL how the rod bend at that moment and remember it so you don't have to look back all the time. Keep your back cast in a straight line, don't over power it, firm stop, and don't curve it. Stand 20ft in front of pillar or a column, you'll your line hitting the pillar if your back cast is curving.
That is how I become a master caster.....not
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
When you are looking back and see the line straighten, FEEL how the rod bend at that moment and remember it so you don't have to look back all the time. Keep your back cast in a straight line, don't over power it, firm stop, and don't curve it. Stand 20ft in front of pillar or a column, you'll your line hitting the pillar if your back cast is curving.
That is how I become a master caster.....not
This is good -- just wanted to add that you need not ever reach a point where you do NOT watch your backcast. The best casters in the world frequently watch their backcast, just youtube any Rajeff distance cast, or virtually any 100 foot+ cast out there. Wind and stream conditions make it good to see where your loop is unrolling.

I don't watch mine 100% of the time, but I'd bet I take a glance at least 50% of the time, maybe more.

My cast improved quite a bit when I taught myself to turn and watch it .
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Late is better than never....so to the forum.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
This is good -- just wanted to add that you need not ever reach a point where you do NOT watch your backcast. The best casters in the world frequently watch their backcast, just youtube any Rajeff distance cast, or virtually any 100 foot+ cast out there. Wind and stream conditions make it good to see where your loop is unrolling.

I don't watch mine 100% of the time, but I'd bet I take a glance at least 50% of the time, maybe more.

You have to be careful not to rotate the rod out of it's SLP as seen from above the caster.

I remember when Jim Greenlee got me into the Fly Tackle Manufacturer's Show in Denver back in the 1980s as a rep for his company. I was trying the new Sage fly rods at the casting pond. I was watching my backcast and I noticed that every cast had a subtle curve to the left in the fly line.

I thought all the Sage rods were a bit off somehow.

That couldn't be it. I realized that as I turned my head to watch my backcast, I was also rotating my body and my right shoulder around and back, to make it easier turn my head. Then when I went to make my forward cast, I rotated my head and right shoulder back forward.

The rod tip was going forward but in an arc concave to the left, so at the stop, the fly line followed the rod tip path, and continued to lay down with a curve to the left.

This makes for a little experiment. Face absolutely forward and make a straight forward cast. Now make the same cast but turn your head to watch your backcast. I think you will find that there is a subtle curve to your cast.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
You have to be careful not to rotate the rod out of it's SLP as seen from above the caster.

I remember when Jim Greenlee got me into the Fly Tackle Manufacturer's Show in Denver back in the 1980s as a rep for his company. I was trying the new Sage fly rods at the casting pond. I was watching my backcast and I noticed that every cast had a subtle curve to the left in the fly line.

I thought all the Sage rods were a bit off somehow.

That couldn't be it. I realized that as I turned my head to watch my backcast, I was also rotating my body and my right shoulder around and back, to make it easier turn my head. Then when I went to make my forward cast, I rotated my head and right shoulder back forward.

The rod tip was going forward but in an arc concave to the left, so at the stop, the fly line followed the rod tip path, and continued to lay down with a curve to the left.

This makes for a little experiment. Face absolutely forward and make a straight forward cast. Now make the same cast but turn your head to watch your backcast. I think you will find that there is a subtle curve to your cast.
I do find this a lot! Wait -- the rod is moving further 'behind' my body, or further to the right side? (I'm right-handed).

Good tip Silver. Spot on.

I read your post again -- I think I got it. I'll need to watch this now!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

Yep that is a good tip to check on your back cast for longer distance.

I must confess that I don't have that good habit of checking my back cast.
I am more into finding the right timing and the hang time.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

What about , Silver. on this 'looking back' deal if you cast more toward a side arm stroke ? Would that be a more accurate tracking ?

After a couple cast it seems my 'mind' just 'knows' what's back there...I dunno how that works.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 AM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to update a little....and brag on myself lol.

Been watching my back casts and got my loop a little tighter. My timing on starting my fwd cast is a lot better too. I still get an occasional "pile up" but I gained a ton of distance. Id say out of 10 casts I get it "right" 6 times. My accuracy isnt close but thatll come later.

It sure feels good when it comes together and ya can feel it.

Thanks again for the tips.

Almost forgot too. I spooled up with new 5wt on my 3-4 rod. I think it made a big difference.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker66 View Post
Just wanted to update a little....and brag on myself lol.

Been watching my back casts and got my loop a little tighter. My timing on starting my fwd cast is a lot better too. I still get an occasional "pile up" but I gained a ton of distance. Id say out of 10 casts I get it "right" 6 times. My accuracy isnt close but thatll come later.

It sure feels good when it comes together and ya can feel it.

Thanks again for the tips.

Almost forgot too. I spooled up with new 5wt on my 3-4 rod. I think it made a big difference.
If you're getting a flop of line (2hander stuff here) at the end of the cast one of two things may be going on (or both?). 1) you are trying to force the cast and with these light lined rods they just won't go there. Finger tips on the cork only!

2) You're getting a hinging effect between the end of the line and leader. As JD would say (to paraphrase) 'Big to small, then to big just isn't going to happen.' And he's dead on, as will be the end of your cast.

I don't know what a 'tonne of distance' means but if you're consistently hitting 70 feet you're wired into what these light rods will do.

fae
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

My tonne of distance is, if everything is perfect, about 40ft, lol. Im ok with that for now.