The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road
Default Just wanna say thanks

Im pretty new at this fly casting. Just wanna say thanks for all the advice ive read on this forum.

I can now cast arount 30' semi accurately and consistently. I do hear an occasional "crack" but almost have that under control.

Anyway if I go much further than 30' everything kinda falls apart or piles up. I think my loop gets too big, the further I try to cast. Im using a Scientific Anglers 5/6 wt 9ft and a St. Croix Imperial 3/4, 7 1/2. I cast them both about the same so far.

Anyway thanks fellas, I enjoy the advice and will continue to practice.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Just wanna say thanks

Hey there,

There are folks here who will diagnose the cast for you but I'm not all that good with that type technical explanation so I'll hope for them to pick up un this thread. The best advice I can give is for you to turn your head and watch the back cast. Allow it to unfurl to your rear before beginning the forward motion. If you've ever played with one of those souvenir bull whips you will know that the whole theory on making a whip crack is to have the thing moving 2 directions at once.

It is the abrupt change of direction that causes the 'cracking'. Allow the casts both fore & aft to reach the terminus and the crack will be gone. Then it's off to other ailments of the cast.

Welcome to the forum,
Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Where you from? I bet someone close to you would be happy to tag along and work on that cast
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Everyone who does this hobby has been where you are -- 30' is a very common fishing distance, so at that distance you're in the fishing range for most typical fishing situations .

Keep practicing your loop at short distances focus on making your backcast look like your forward cast. It will come with time.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Ard nailed it above. That 'crack' you hear is the fly actually breaking the sound barrier. No kidding!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lurker66: Welcome to the forum!

Like Ard, I'm also not an expert at diagnosing casting errors on the internet, but two very common errors for beginners is beginning the forward cast before the back cast has completed (i.e. the crack sound). One way to help solve that is to watch the back cast "complete" before you start the forward cast. Another common error is to not come to a stop on both the forward cast and then again on the back cast, make sure you are coming to a stop on both the forward and rear casts.
You might benefit from watching this Orvis video on casting mistakes.
Correcting Common Casting Mistakes

Larry
imxer likes this.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Where you from? I bet someone close to you would be happy to tag along and work on that cast
Im just outside of Norman. Close to OKC.

Im just gearing up and learning. I just dont wanna embarrass myself until I learn the very basics.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

As said above, watch the back cast and let it develop before doing the forecast. When I'm having trouble, a 90% of the time fix is to slow down between back cast and forecast.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:47 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker66 View Post
Im just outside of Norman. Close to OKC.

Im just gearing up and learning. I just dont wanna embarrass myself until I learn the very basics.
First of all we were all beginners once so there should be no embarrassment. If an instructor makes you feel that way, find another instructor!

The best option is to find someone that can teach you the correct fly casting habits rather than you learning the wrong habits. It will be much more difficult to become a better fly caster if you have to unlearn bad technique that are now muscle memory.

If you can't find someone to teach you, video yourself so we can tell you what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum ! You're not really a lurker any more
Great first post.....asking questions always gets replies.
Also, thanks for telling us something about yourself.
Another suggestion on watching your back cast : keep your left foot pointing straight ahead, as you normally would, but turn right foot 90 degrees, so it points to your right. ( assuming you're right handed ). It makes it much easier to watch your back cast develop over your right shoulder.
Take a look back, make a few normal casts with both feet forward, check the loop as needed, but don't get in the habit of the " observing stance "
Post often, and let us know how you're progressing.