The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By AndrÚBrun
  • 1 Post By vgb
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By vgb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 AM

AndrÚBrun is on a distinguished road
Default Film: Presentation techniques for trout

Hi. Here's a video where we show the different presentation techniques we use when fishing trout.

It's in Norwegian, but the text show when it's mending, air mending, snake-rolls, spey, sikk-sakk etc.

Film: https://vimeo.com/83910195

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Film: Presentation techniques for trout

I've seen that guy before -- I love SH spey casting, so this is entertaining for me to watch. It makes me excited about doing more spey casts with my 5-weight.

Actually, I find myself spending more and more time doing spey casts with my SH rods when trout fishing. There is just so much advantage to it when you need to not tangle nymph and 2-fly rigs, etc. not to mention stuff behind you.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM

vgb is on a distinguished road

Less scenic, and because my Norwegian isn't up to scratch :

regards

Vince
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that guy can cast! I wish it was in English so I could hear what he is saying. Thanks for sharing.

Larry

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgb View Post
Less scenic, and because my Norwegian isn't up to scratch :

iGhillie 7 - Fly Casting techniques for small Westcountry Rivers on Vimeo

regards

Vince
Vince

That was awesome, thanks! I definitely need to watch that video a couple more times to get everything out of it.

Larry

Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Both are giving a good look at what I think is the most important asset of the Spey type casts. Notice how relaxed the casters are. They are not struggling or thrashing about in the least.

My transition to 2 hand rods was simplified by the fact that I fished streamers in the fashion the men demonstrate for many years prior to ever seeing a 13 or 15 foot rod. ow after spending years casting 2 hand rods I find it hard to 'not' use Spey style casts even when I use my 6' 3" rod.

I do believe that for most single hand casting a medium action rod will make the learning curve less steep. Once you've got it down you'll do it with any rod easily.

Good videos, both!

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 AM

vgb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Both are giving a good look at what I think is the most important asset of the Spey type casts. Notice how relaxed the casters are. They are not struggling or thrashing about in the least.
Absolutely agree. I put myself in the slow improver category and getting the tempo right has resulted in the biggest step change in improvement for me. I need to practice enough to get it grooved in but already I am finding I have more time to look at details when I am casting, such as getting my hand higher at the set position.
mcnerney likes this.