The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM

boyandhisdogs is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to straighten mono running line?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm new to this shooting stuff and every time I take my two-handed cannon out the mono running line is always coiled like a spring and cuts my cast in half and I usually end up with a florescent pink birds nest in the water in front of me.

I've tried the old "pull it through your wallet" trick as well as pull it from under the sole of my boot and neither one works well enough. For what it's worth, I've got 80# Frog Hair.
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather not buy another line unless what I've got it beyond saving. I'm a 20 year old college student with two part time jobs. I'd rather make due with what I've already got and not have to buy anything.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Best way to straighten mono running line?

Hello and welcome to the forum,

No one I know is still using mono shooting line for the reasons you have stated. I use long belly lines with integrated vinyl coated back line so I can't even offer a suggestion of what to shop for. Yes I read the part about not having much money but you may need to squirrel a few dollars whenever possible and get into one of the braided running / shooting lines.

Again, welcome to the group and I hope you'll stick around a bit.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum,

No one I know is still using mono shooting line for the reasons you have stated. I use long belly lines with integrated vinyl coated back line so I can't even offer a suggestion of what to shop for. Yes I read the part about not having much money but you may need to squirrel a few dollars whenever possible and get into one of the braided running / shooting lines.

Again, welcome to the group and I hope you'll stick around a bit.

Ard
Is that stuff any different than regular braided fishing line? Could I reasonably substitute with the cheap braided stuff at Kmart? Flotation isn't all that important since I've got a sinking shooting head and I'm using it in the surf.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Like Ard, I haven't used mono in decades. But to get rid of the coils initially, I'd tie it to a tree or somthing and stretch it real good, just like fly line.

Added Edit
Soaking it in water overnight will probably help as well. I don't know if shooting head guys do it, but I soak my mono cast nets in Downy fabric softener and water in a drywall bucket for a couple hours, and it makes all the difference. Softens them right up, and they open way, way better.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Are you really using 80 # ?

That's some big stuff....are you fishing for tuna?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

OMG! Is that the pound test? I had no idea they made it that fat.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Are you really using 80 # ?

That's some big stuff....are you fishing for tuna?
Quote:
OMG! Is that the pound test? I had no idea they made it that fat.
No, the biggest thing I expect on this rod is a striper, halibut or small leopard. I bought it because I thought that wet and cold fingers would get a better purchase on a bigger line. I'll readily admit that I have little to no idea what I'm really doing. Until now the only kind of fly fishing I've ever done is dries for trout, I'm new to flies in the salt.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

I use mono shooting line on my spey rods and don't really have any problems. I use Berkley Big Game 30#. Costs something like $14 for 300yds. I do, however, hold loops of the line with my bottom hand and spend a couple minutes stretching it before fishing. If I was overhead casting Id want a shooting basket with those spikes in the bottom. An inexpensive commercial running line that works well is miracle braid however I found that its not ideal for saltwater.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Could I just ditch the running line and attach the shooting head directly to the backing?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Lots of guys use Rio shooting lines, they are a hard mono (I think) and they don't coil near as bad. There is also the rio grip shooter, it has a coated handling section of about 15ft then transitions into the hard mono. Then you have your integrated shooting heads which are pretty much just like a normal fly line. You can get the shooting lines that are pretty much the same as the level running line on a fly line also if you don't want to deal with any memory whatsoever, but you will lose a little distance compared to the Rio type hard mono shooting lines.

Hope this made sense...

Chase