The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Keeping track of leaders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/345572-keeping-track-leaders.html)

garybrower 02-27-2014 10:24 PM

Keeping track of leaders

Hi,

Does anyone have a system for keeping track of leaders. For example, I may go from a better body of water that may call for a 5X 9' leader to one that requires a 4X 7-1/2'. So I take off the 5X....but, short of having a pre-marked baggie, how do I keep from confusing it with other leaders (from earlier, similar situations)? I've thought about some kind of color-code marking up at the loop end? Thoughts?

Gary

Sent from my RAZR via Tapatalk

williamhj 02-27-2014 10:36 PM

Re: Keeping track of leaders

Where do you store used leader? Before I started using furled leaders I just kept the bag it came in and coiled it back up into the labeled bag when I was done.

greg_h 02-27-2014 10:38 PM

I guess I'm just a tidy kind of guy. Purchased leaders have a label in the baggie, and since I make my own leaders using LeaderCalc, I make my own labels.
So most of the time when I take off a leader I put it back in the baggie in my vest. If a leader becomes sufficiently tangled or cut back that I am not sure of its properties, I put it in a side pocket and later on at home I use my micrometer to measure the tippet end, rebuild the leader and put it (back) in a baggie.
If you make your own it should be easy to put a different coloured mono in the butt or middle of your leaders to distinguish the formula used, but you (I) would still have to use the micrometer to know where to rebuild if it got too chewed up.
If it weren't for the labeled bags I probably couldn't tell mine apart either.

itchmesir 02-27-2014 10:54 PM

I just throw them away.

runningfish 02-28-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 644170)
Where do you store used leader? Before I started using furled leaders I just kept the bag it came in and coiled it back up into the labeled bag when I was done.

+1 on that, I kept all the envelopes in my leader wallet and I am using labels too. You go to an office depot, get a pricing label, the ones in colors would be great. Coil you used leader and fold the label on the coil, mark it with a pen and voila.

bigjim5589 02-28-2014 02:56 AM

Not sure if this is your answer or not, but I also make my own, and I bought a cheap little case that I think was made for CD's or similar. It has several plastic sleeves in it, in which I place the leaders, and a label identifying the leader & tippet. If I need to change, I 'll simply slip the leader back into the appropriate sleeve.

The exterior of the case is a nylon fabric, & it has zipper around 3 sides.
Dimensions are approx. 4" X 4"

I think I paid about $4 for the case.

bloomagoo 02-28-2014 07:21 AM

Yes, I use a leader wallet and place post-it notes in each sleeve for my twisted leaders. For purchased leaders I just keep the envelope in the sleeve. It's a simple system and keeps everything organized.

shotgunfly 02-28-2014 08:36 AM

I used to roll em up and put them in a small plastic bag (the common size used to sell marabou feathers is a good size). I used a sharpie to label the bag. But the sharpie would rub off the plastic.

So then I started using BLUE masking tape on the bag (stuck really well) and then wrote the leader size on it. I used BLUE for 9' leader. I used YELLOW/ORIGINAL masking tape for 7.5" leaders for quick identification.

Used a rubber band to keep them together.

I'd even take the leaders out of the paper envelopes (which would get wet and then stick, dry and ruin my leaders) and transferred them to my "system" before I used them.

Eventually, it was all too much work to maintain because the bundle of plastic tape labeled bags would get mixed up and I was spending more time shuffling through them. So I broke down and got a leader wallet. It's large enough to hold the leaders in their original packets/sleeves.

The leader wallet packed full of leaders stays in my backpack/slingpack while just 3 or 4 packets stay on the outside or in a chest pocket.

mridenour 02-28-2014 08:47 AM

I use a leader wallet. I put the card from the packaging of the leader in the pockets so that I can see what leader I put inside. Fits in my vest and is soft and doesn't weigh much. Each pouch has a zip-lock on it to keep the leaders from falling out. Simple and easy to use for me.

planettrout 02-28-2014 09:01 AM

Been using one of these for years to organize my leaders...I went to this shape because it fits nicely into the pocket on my vest...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...psb2f70c75.jpg

PT/TB:thumbup: