The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 05:37 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Loading the rod

But when a cast must be as perfect as possible even the best fly casters watch their backcasts.[/quote]

I guess what we have to do here is separate tournament style from actual flyfishing. In my case in a fishing condition my focus is on a target. I never take my eye from that target. My backcast has been calculated according to the conditions...wind and aerial mends,etc. and the forward and backcast cast is timed to replicate the visual sense...not any feeling I have in the backcast of the line tugging or the rod bending. The timing for my casts are the same for both the forward cast and the backcast. I start my backcast just a moment before the line unrolls in the forward cast and that timing I translate to the backcast.

To me ..watching the backcast has been valuable to me if I stand with my shoulders parallel to the target and cast side-arm. In this case nothing seems to go off track but over head the rod takes off and I lose control.
angler81 likes this.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

When Steve Rajeff casts for accuracy, he watches his forward cast and the target. The difference I think is that with distance, you are shooting line on your backcast and the timing on when to begin the backcast is much more critical than at the shorter distances of the accuracy competition. You will notice that Steve doesn't not shoot line during the accuracy phase, he has his distance to target set with the correct amount to line out of the guides before he does the lay down cast.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

This is the kind of post new guys like me need. With the rods I have, im not sure if I feel them load or not. I do feel, hear and see my line. So im more tuned into what my line is doing. By watching my loop, both forward and back, I can feel when my line wants something more.

Ill keep practicing, yall keep posting. Thanks for an excellent thread.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker66 View Post
This is the kind of post new guys like me need. With the rods I have, im not sure if I feel them load or not. I do feel, hear and see my line. So im more tuned into what my line is doing. By watching my loop, both forward and back, I can feel when my line wants something more.

Ill keep practicing, yall keep posting. Thanks for an excellent thread.
I need to clarify what rod load is and is not. Most caster identify rod "load" as the bending and unbending of the fly rod during the cast. But this is not the ONLY feedback that we get during a fly cast.

There is also the change in momentum and inertia of the fly line during a fly cast. Even in the absence of rod "load," the caster can feel the momentum and inertia changes of the fly line as it alternates during a fly cast. This is entirely separate from rod "load." We can cast with a pool cue as Simon Gawesworth has or without a fly rod at all. When there is no rod that flexes, there is no rod "load;" but the momentum and inertial changes of the cast are felt through the stiff pool cue by proprioception.

"Many years ago, when I was doing the demonstration circuit of fly-fishing shows in the UK, I had a routine that showed it was possible to cast without any rod flex. I took my old pool cue and whipped a couple of rod rings (one at the tip) and a reel seat on it. During the demos I would cast a WF7 fly line with this cue. I could cast it 50 feet or so, but it took effort to do this as there was no flex in the cue to help. The pool cue was five feet long, so the only way I could generate any line speed to make a cast was to utilize arm and wrist speed and the five-foot length of leverage to basically throw out the fly line. I could throw a very tight loop but had to really work at getting the cast to go any distance.

Another part of the demonstration was to put the pool cue down and thread the fly line through a one-inch split ring. I cupped the split ring in my right thumb and index finger and proceeded to cast with only my hand, arm, and wrist. Again, there is no flex or spring power when casting this way, and I had negated the five-foot length of leverage. This shows that it is possible to cast without any flex or leverage length and that the power only came from my arm and wrist speed. However, it could never be called efficient!"

Fly Rod Casting - Fly Fisherman

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 PM

bigspencer is on a distinguished road

One has to have some additional line running to shoot a little on the backcast anyways, if you're going to throw long. I think it's a lot easier to make your delivery while you've already extended your hand-drift, and that comes from extending the line roughly prior to that drift...y/n? At least that's what seems to always work...
SteveD