The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loading the rod

Caster John,

I finally got a GoPro which can be set to remove the fish eye and that takes 240 frames/second slow motion.

Because it seems that the main point of my original post was not really understood or missed by some people, I made a short video to illustrate exactly the point I was making about people being concerned with feeling the rod load.

I can definitely feel the rod load and unload in the video. The yarn on the tip top only weighs 0.008 oz.

It is a 50 mb file and may require a fast computer to watch in super slow motion. It may also take several minutes to load and not play properly the first time. It should play properly the second time though on a fairly modern computer.

I do not have good editing software to reduce the file size and retain the clarity. If anyone else does, please feel free to do so if you like.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/no_line1080.mp4
Old 10-09-2016, 12:02 PM

cap2666 is on a distinguished road

hi,I don't know if I am in the right place but I have a problem,I have a 9' 7wt rod fast action with weight forword line,I can cast up to 80 feet with no problem,but I can't go longer then that no matter what I do...Any tips or sugestion?I want to cast longer because I live in Danmark and I go fishing on the coast...Thanks.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Try shooting line into the backcast just before your delivery cast.

I think what limits the distance you cast is the maximum amount of fly line you can "carry" in your cast. The best tournament casters can "carry" 100 feet (the entire fly line) beyond the rod tip. Then the final haul adds another 10 feet or so on the shoot.

So what is limiting you is the maximum amount of fly line you can carry during a false cast. Since the amount of line you can shoot is limited by the amount of energy you add in the final haul, to increase your maximum casting distance, you must increase the amount of line you can carry in the cast.

By shooting line into the final backcast, you will add a few more feet of line to the backcast which is just before the forward cast and if you can shoot just as much line on the delivery cast, your cast should be a bit longer.

So to get longer casts, you need to work on keeping more line in the air which requires greater strength, superb timing of the cast and improved control of the rod stroke. Tournament casters shoot line into both backcast and forward casts and not just on the forward cast as 99% of anglers do. Shooting line into the backcast allows them to reach the amount of line they can carry in fewer casts. Fewer false casts means fewer opportunities to make an error.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-09-2016, 01:20 PM

Aaaa,I didn't think of that....I was thinking that I don't carry enough line,but I never think to shoot line on the back cast...Yes sir,thank youuuuu.Tomorrow more practice...thanks,thanks.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 PM

hello to all,yesterday after 2 hours practicing(start to rain)I was able to cast 93 feet,the ...back cast... is alot more difficult that sounds...I am new to this so I don't really know how much a good caster can cast with a 7wt rod...Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 03:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

So that is a 16% longer cast. Well done!

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Hi,shooting line in the back cast is were the problem kicks in,with 60-70 feet of line in the air....is realy hard to do it and I noticed that at the final forward cast if I start the haul from the first guide of the rod gives more power becouse is bendind the rod at the max...Practicing is the mother of all knowlege..Thanks for the replays.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:30 PM

hi,one question for more advanced anglers,is posibil to make over head casts with a switch line?I am thinking becouse it have a bigger shooting head ..50-55 feet, it can carry more line in the air...(I don't know if is true..)there for you can shoot more line in the last back cast,carry that line(longer) and shoot more line in the last forword cast...Thanks.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:31 PM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

I've never cast a switch line, but just looked at the taper of one on the internet. I don't even know what switch casting is really, but I do know that lines designed for long carries look nothing like that one.

Also most people fishing the surf use lines with heads around 40 feet or less. Some prefer shooting heads of 30 feet.

For long carry casting in competition distance events they usually use Scientific Anglers MED's which have about a 70' head (but with a very gentle rear taper) or Bario competition lines which are nearly identical in length and similar in taper.

The switch line does not look to me like a good line for a long carry because the head weight is all to the rear of the taper - so I would expect that the radical change from skinny running line to big fat rear taper would not transfer energy well between the skinny line loop to the fat rear taper.

Distance is not just about carry either. The longer the carry, the more the sag. And the more the sag the more the slack and the more of the casting stroke that is taken up removing it, and the lower the fly dips on the forward cast.

Loop control, line speed, and timing are more important that carry - especially at low tide in a lot of places, or anywhere there are trees, rocks or even tall grass behind you.

It's one thing to "tic" the grass with fluff in a field practicing distance. It's another to "tic" a rock behind you with a hook. You won't be sticking any fish with it and it may not be re-sharpenable. So chuck that fly and tie on a new one after that fish disappears down the beach. Of course, nobody here has ever done that - but it is possible. ;>)

If there is no head wind, you can shoot shorter heads quite a long distance and it requires no false casting.

As Silver said, the more false casting, the more chances for a screw up.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Tailwalk7 is on a distinguished road

Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk