The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: double haul question

If you are creeping , focusing on the drift after the stop should solve it. It did for me anyway, that along with shocking the rod with excessive thumb hit as Silvercreek said.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
robmedina

Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

There are far better video's out there these days to learn from. Johnny is casting a 'glass rod which appears way different in action compared to modern plastic rods. Their advise to move the rod from 12:00 to 3:00 won't play well in modern technique unless you really intend to splat the line down.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
robmedina

I just thought folks might get a kick out of it.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I love it,

All the modern technology in the world and I cant double haul to save my life. I really was digging the gigantic monogrammed endorsement on the back of his shirt.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Fly fishing trivia....

Johnny Dieckman had a girlfriend....you know her as Joan Wulff.

Dieckman died in a plane crash at 35 yrs old in 1962. He was a world champ.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

You might be speeding up your casting motion too much, instead of applying power from the haul. Try casting at a comfortable distance (35-40 ft?) without hauling and then without changing tempo start introducing a haul near the end of each stroke, just as you are turning your wrist over. I think you might add up to ten feet of distance without any added power from your casting hand. Once you get the hang of it you will realize that the casting hand provides the direction and rhythm and the hauling hand provides the power. I found that advice helped me reduce tailing loops when going for distance.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

He deleted his questions and left this comment up... "thanks guys.ill figure it out."

Guess he doesn't need any advise. Poor guys gonna just have to live with only casting 105'
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
robmedina

I would have deleted the post if I could. I wasn't feeling real welcome from some people here. Nothing like being unfairly judged.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
I would have deleted the post if I could. I wasn't feeling real welcome from some people here. Nothing like being unfairly judged.
Hmmmm. I just re read this thread and don't see any negative posts. I admit mine was on the sarcastic side, but it was after you bailed on the thread. Something to remember is, any reasonable topic is worth following thru on. a lot of people read it. It may not be helping you, but when this kind of knowledge gets expressed, other people learn. Its all good

If you really are casting that much line, I would like to read more posts from you. I certainly cant throw that much line and am in awe of those who can.
shotgunfly likes this.