The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods

Don't know what to tell ya but I fish buggers and mini buggers on my 7' superfine 4wt and my 7' Winston wt 3wt. all in timing and lots of practice been doing it for 35 years. love my short light rods for everything.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
Don't know what to tell ya but I fish buggers and mini buggers on my 7' superfine 4wt and my 7' Winston wt 3wt. all in timing and lots of practice been doing it for 35 years. love my short light rods for everything.
whats your set up, wt and length of tippet? seems a few guys pointed out that I may be using too long and too find a tippet section.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
ry this link... McCauley Lord gives a pretty good description of the cast... better than I can in a short space..

The Belgian Cast | MidCurrent
| Unlike
that is very intriguing. I need to investigate that some more. thank you
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I use a furled leader of 5 to 6 ft and about 3 to 4 ft of orvis superstrong tippet 5 to 6 x depending how clear or how finicky the fish are (trout). I also use orvis superstrong mono leader 7 1/2 ft with same tippet. works well for me

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

One more thing and this may be the kicker. I don't weight my buggers !! I do use a bead head but that is it, that can be the big difference. I fish them sloooooow.
xnykid likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:27 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

A bigger hammer fixes everything!

CAB
xnykid likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It's all experience and slowing it down... I can toss a 3x #6 bugger wrapped all in .20-.30 lead and 4mm dumbbell eyes with my 6' glass 5wt... Can also toss the same buggers on my 8'6 3wt CT which is a moderate action graphite
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 AM

lkyboots is on a distinguished road

I use WBs with my boo Orvis and sometimes have weight added, slowing down your cast when fishing slow or medium action rods help. I catch a lot more fish with smaller burgers than with the bigger ones.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I've cast larger weighted buggers on my 3WT. At some point you are not fly casting in the traditional sense, as the heavy fly is now casting the lighter line. I haven't lost any sleep because of this technicality.

I have better success on smaller buggers for my local trout.