The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/348179-woolie-buggers-slower-rods.html)

xnykid 04-04-2014 08:06 AM

Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods

I would grab a medium action or even glass on any day over my faster rods but some days the only productive fly in the pond will be BH Buggers black or green with a splash of flash. I view them as a necessary evil in my box but......
casting a #8 BH with a soft rod I think I waited long enough in the back cast but when I start my forward I feel that "bump" where slack has been taken up and the bugger has now joined in on the cast, it is like hooking up a train car. As my line comes forward it is moving ok but the bugger is on its own flight path at the end of my 4' tippet and lands where ever the heck it feels like it.
Am I asking too much of my rod to cast that fly, do I really need to step up to 5-6wt for bead heads that size or is there a set up change you might use with a lighter softer rod to cast heavier streamers. I am using a 3wt with 4.5' furled leader and about 4' #6 tippet most of the time.

plecain 04-04-2014 08:10 AM

Re: Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods

A number 8 bead head is pretty big.

I use WBs all the time with a 6 ft, 1 wt rod, but I'm using #10s or #12s, with or without beads.

I'd try a smaller fly and see how that feels.

james w 3 3 04-04-2014 08:16 AM

Hmmmmm, I get the same sort of thing when I try to put a hopper out with my 2 wt.
Loss of directional control.
I ascribe it to the line weight. You can still cast it, but it has bit of a mind of it's own.
Add some wind . . . oh my!
I think your instinct to go with a 5 or 6 is spot on.

tyler_durden 04-04-2014 10:23 AM

A glass rod in a higher line weight is my solution. In fact, I don't own anything smaller than a glass 6wt and manage ultra spooky trout and #22 emergers just fine.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

dhaynes 04-04-2014 10:48 AM

You don't say what weight rod you're using so all advice will be a guess. But with a slow rod you might experiment with altering the way you cast. Try using a continuous motion cast -- sometimes called a Belgian Cast -- to smooth out the bump at the end of the backstroke. Start the back cast a little low then, without pausing on the backcast, bring the rod tip up and over in one smooth motion. I've found it works well with 4/5 weight moderate action rods and big hoppers and weighted buggers.

Rip Tide 04-04-2014 11:16 AM

I have fiberglass rods from 3 to 9wt
The 3 and 4wt rods are "dry fly only". The 6 and 7wt rods are all around fishing tools. And the 8 and 9wt rods are cannons with any fly that you care to fling.
Trying to cast a fly that's too heavy for the rod is more frustrating than it's worth. I'm out there to have fun, not to be a casting hero, so I when I head out the door, I choose the proper tool for the job.

jimp 04-04-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaynes (Post 655007)
You don't say what weight rod you're using so all advice will be a guess. But with a slow rod you might experiment with altering the way you cast. Try using a continuous motion cast -- sometimes called a Belgian Cast -- to smooth out the bump at the end of the backstroke. Start the back cast a little low then, without pausing on the backcast, bring the rod tip up and over in one smooth motion. I've found it works well with 4/5 weight moderate action rods and big hoppers and weighted buggers.

I have a picture in my mind of a somewhat tight but slightly lopsided U shaped casting motion. Am I on the right channel ?

dhaynes 04-05-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimp (Post 655167)
I have a picture in my mind of a somewhat tight but slightly lopsided U shaped casting motion. Am I on the right channel ?

Try this link... McCauley Lord gives a pretty good description of the cast... better than I can in a short space..

The Belgian Cast | MidCurrent

sandfly 04-05-2014 09:24 AM

Got to remember the wooly bugger was invented back when fast rods were not around !
4' tippet is to long to cast a fly like that, sounds like you are getting a hinge effect.

bigjim5589 04-05-2014 09:38 AM

I would first cut the tippet back to about 3', and open up the loop a bit. What you describe becomes a similar situation as casting heavy Clousers. A chuck & duck. You don't say how much distance you're attempting either. Keeping the casts short helps some too. 30 ft perhaps.

I don't view a size 8 BH as an appreciably heavy fly, depending on the BH size used, but with the 3 wt IMO it's getting on the upper end of the weight range. The slower action rod is not helping you either, especially as you try to increase distance.

The 5/6 wt would be a better choice & I agree with Rip Tide about choosing the right tool. However, if that's the only rod, you can make due, but have to stay within the limits of that rod.

I've cast size 8 deerhair bugs with my 3 wt, (graphite, faster action too) which are wind resistant, 50 -60 ft when conditions are ideal, but adding the extra weight of a BH would cut that distance down considerably I'm sure.