The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 AM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough
Default Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods

I would grab a medium action or even glass on any day over my faster rods but some days the only productive fly in the pond will be BH Buggers black or green with a splash of flash. I view them as a necessary evil in my box but......
casting a #8 BH with a soft rod I think I waited long enough in the back cast but when I start my forward I feel that "bump" where slack has been taken up and the bugger has now joined in on the cast, it is like hooking up a train car. As my line comes forward it is moving ok but the bugger is on its own flight path at the end of my 4' tippet and lands where ever the heck it feels like it.
Am I asking too much of my rod to cast that fly, do I really need to step up to 5-6wt for bead heads that size or is there a set up change you might use with a lighter softer rod to cast heavier streamers. I am using a 3wt with 4.5' furled leader and about 4' #6 tippet most of the time.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Woolie Buggers and Slower Rods

A number 8 bead head is pretty big.

I use WBs all the time with a 6 ft, 1 wt rod, but I'm using #10s or #12s, with or without beads.

I'd try a smaller fly and see how that feels.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Hmmmmm, I get the same sort of thing when I try to put a hopper out with my 2 wt.
Loss of directional control.
I ascribe it to the line weight. You can still cast it, but it has bit of a mind of it's own.
Add some wind . . . oh my!
I think your instinct to go with a 5 or 6 is spot on.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

A glass rod in a higher line weight is my solution. In fact, I don't own anything smaller than a glass 6wt and manage ultra spooky trout and #22 emergers just fine.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

You don't say what weight rod you're using so all advice will be a guess. But with a slow rod you might experiment with altering the way you cast. Try using a continuous motion cast -- sometimes called a Belgian Cast -- to smooth out the bump at the end of the backstroke. Start the back cast a little low then, without pausing on the backcast, bring the rod tip up and over in one smooth motion. I've found it works well with 4/5 weight moderate action rods and big hoppers and weighted buggers.
mcnerney, shotgunfly and xnykid like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have fiberglass rods from 3 to 9wt
The 3 and 4wt rods are "dry fly only". The 6 and 7wt rods are all around fishing tools. And the 8 and 9wt rods are cannons with any fly that you care to fling.
Trying to cast a fly that's too heavy for the rod is more frustrating than it's worth. I'm out there to have fun, not to be a casting hero, so I when I head out the door, I choose the proper tool for the job.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
You don't say what weight rod you're using so all advice will be a guess. But with a slow rod you might experiment with altering the way you cast. Try using a continuous motion cast -- sometimes called a Belgian Cast -- to smooth out the bump at the end of the backstroke. Start the back cast a little low then, without pausing on the backcast, bring the rod tip up and over in one smooth motion. I've found it works well with 4/5 weight moderate action rods and big hoppers and weighted buggers.
I have a picture in my mind of a somewhat tight but slightly lopsided U shaped casting motion. Am I on the right channel ?
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I have a picture in my mind of a somewhat tight but slightly lopsided U shaped casting motion. Am I on the right channel ?
Try this link... McCauley Lord gives a pretty good description of the cast... better than I can in a short space..

The Belgian Cast | MidCurrent
xnykid likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Got to remember the wooly bugger was invented back when fast rods were not around !
4' tippet is to long to cast a fly like that, sounds like you are getting a hinge effect.
xnykid likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I would first cut the tippet back to about 3', and open up the loop a bit. What you describe becomes a similar situation as casting heavy Clousers. A chuck & duck. You don't say how much distance you're attempting either. Keeping the casts short helps some too. 30 ft perhaps.

I don't view a size 8 BH as an appreciably heavy fly, depending on the BH size used, but with the 3 wt IMO it's getting on the upper end of the weight range. The slower action rod is not helping you either, especially as you try to increase distance.

The 5/6 wt would be a better choice & I agree with Rip Tide about choosing the right tool. However, if that's the only rod, you can make due, but have to stay within the limits of that rod.

I've cast size 8 deerhair bugs with my 3 wt, (graphite, faster action too) which are wind resistant, 50 -60 ft when conditions are ideal, but adding the extra weight of a BH would cut that distance down considerably I'm sure.
xnykid likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!